IP Question

Tom A*

I'm not having any problems just observed something strange with 2 different WiFi radios. I've been using a Edimax Nano and it works fine
except that its range is limited. This radio once configured as client ALWAYS comes up on IP 192.168.1.200, I thought this sort of odd,not dynamic
I've got nothing set in my router (static routes, MAC) added. It was convenient knowing its IP. I did play around with static IP when I first got the
HM 4.2 running but have long removed that config.

In an effort to extend WiFi range I tried another USB radio I had around the house....and it works great!
TP-Link TL-WN822N, this radio behaves "more normal" Its IP dynamically changes as expected. I've switched radios out and the
Edimax constantly uses 192.168.1.200.

I'm thinking there is something left over in my router that I'm not able see/change. Before I do a factory reset on the router I figured I'd ask here.

Befuddled?:confused:

There is a DHCP lease time on most routers that will cause the same IP to be assigned to a device if it connects back within the lease time that is set.

Yah..... usually, a DHCP client will renew the lease when half of the lease time has gone. Even after the lease has expired, a lot of dhcpd implementations will maintain the MAC<->IPAddress mapping until it gets overwritten by a new lease. IIRC, it's also possible that a DHCP client can request the last address if it has it stored locally.

The HP M276nw printer I have here has a really goofy TCP/IP stack in it. I've ended up forcing it to a static address, it keeps coming back to the static address even if configured back to dynamic & mDNS. It's been a couple of years, and about 3 different dhcpd implementations here since I tinkered with it, though, aside from just making sure it's up & running.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to perform a factory reset. Just prior to doing that I went through all the router settings and found a static assignment based on MAC.
My bad on this one. The setting was way in there, sub-menu on a interface menu. Deleted it and all is good.

Thanks again!

Back