Inverted Empty Water Bowl ?

Could work - certainly won't be able to use the second cooking grate though. And it could be a delicate balancing act to keep it from slipping and falling into the coals (as it was designed to sit one way - right side up).

Since it seems obvious you wouldn't be using the bottom grate anyway, if just clearing the coals is all you want (and you don't necessarily care about water in the pan), I recommend using a clay saucer. Just drop it on the lower grate. Much easier solution and it gets you the clearance you need.

Or for cooks where you'll need both grates, buy the smaller Brinkmann pan.

I bought a 12 inch clay pot for my older WSM (with the normal-sized water pan). It fits in perfectly, to where it drops right into the pan in its existing location. So both cooking grates are fully usable all the time. Great thing about the older WSMs is that you got PLENTY of clearance to the coals.

I think a 14-incher would fit perfectly above the grate on the newer WSMs, and should fit into the water pan as well (if you wanted to use both grates).

I have a 14-inch clay pot to use with my 2011 WSM but haven't unboxed it (the WSM) yet.

An empty pan in the original position is just a heat baffle. heat hits the bottom and rolls up the sides. Radiant heat is not that much of an issue as the distance to the top grate and bottom of the baffle is decent. Invert it and you channel the source of heat much closer to the top grate.
And what would you use to catch drippings?

Tim

Back