Introduction and 1st WSM tale (chuck roll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave M

TVWBB Member
Hi folks, new guy here. Great forum.
icon_smile.gif
I've been bbq'ing for quite a while on a Charbroil electric but I've just stepped into the realm of the WSM.

Got it from Amazon the other day and did my first cook on it last night. Chopped an 18 lb chuck from Sams in half and treated them like two pork butts. Yum Yum Steak rub, in the fridge for 3 hours. Started smoker with the minion method, put play sand in the water pan and covered it with foil. Meat went in at 9:45 last night. From there it was by the book according to the posts I've read here. Got up at 6:30 and did a stir on the coals and opened the bottom dampers to 100%. at 10:45 am the meat hit 165 and I foiled it. At 12:30 it hit 195, wrapped it up and put it in a cooler for two hours, then pulled it.

It was very much like pulling a pork butt, but even less fat to deal with. Just a huge mountain of meat. Great smoke ring (I never got good smoke ring with the electric), juicy and nice bark. All in all, I'd say it was a huge success for my first WSM experience. Thanks for all the info you folks share on this site.
icon_smile.gif

Dave, Chuck Roll
icon_biggrin.gif
You know your going to take some flack for doing one from the crazed mesquite man. Glad to hear that it was a success. One question for you, curious on why you cut it in half
icon_frown.gif
What's next on the WSM Bryan

Very tasty post.

What did you think about sand versus water?

Less mess for sure. I used water and it worked fine, but I could deal with reduced hassle and cleanup.

Brian A

Dave M,

I thought I smelled some cooking chuck roll today. I often prefer a good chuck roll to a brisket. Welcome aboard, another Michigan guy, we are swelling the ranks.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the welcome.
icon_smile.gif
Next cook? Gotta be a brisket. I loves me brisket.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, I cut it in half to get some extra surface area for rub and bark. Plus I didn't want to wrestle that monster.

Brian, the sand worked great. I've always used water in the electric, but it's got a huge pan. I didn't want to worry about it drying up on the overnight cook. It worked so well and easy I'll probably stick with it.

Bruce, Utica eh? Yeah I think the wind was blowing your way.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave M:

Plus I didn't want to wrestle that monster.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, That's half the fun
icon_eek.gif
. I cut the first one in half but left the 18.5 lber whole. It came off pretty easy though.

Dave, sorry to hear you caved like a puss and did a chuck roll for your first cook
icon_mad.gif
!! What, did you use apple wood or something too!!! Grow-up and do a prok butt you rube
icon_eek.gif
!

Dave...just kidding
icon_biggrin.gif
...I am the "crazy mesquite man" Bryan mentioned
icon_razz.gif
. Just living up to my reputation! Gald to hear everything went well and I look forward to doing a chuck roll at somepoint in the near future(Shields On)now that I am a member at BJ'S.

Welcome aboard and look in to SmokeStock. Under the just conversation arena uder "Roadtrip to Les's House". Give it some thought.

It was just a matter of time till the crazy mesquite man woke up and smelled the aplle wood burning.
icon_eek.gif
Next he'll be buying a Guru.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back