Interesting Observations on grate temps in 14.5"

Van DeWald

TVWBB Fan
I smoked 3 full racks of baby back ribs today in my WSM 14.5". I used the Brinkman rib rack, loaded full with four 1/2 racks on the top grate, and then the other two 1/2 racks on the bottom grate. This is the first time I've done ribs in the 14.5". I put a Maverick 733 probe on each grate. I was shocked at the temp differences, in some cases 100-120 degrees difference, with the top rack being higher. I struggled to get 180-200 on the bottom rack, with the top rack anywhere from 250-320. Dome temps struggled to reach 200 as well. Without the ribs in the smoker, the temp difference between top and bottom was only 10-30 degrees. Anyhow, just an interesting observation, that when loaded up, I had pretty dramatic temp differences between bottom rack, top rack, and dome temp. When I foiled, I did swap out 1/2 slabs from the bottom to the top to help even out the cooking. Overall, the ribs were ok, but not sure I'll load it as heavy next time.

That doesn't make sense, Makes me wonder if the top rack thermometer was off and the other two correct?

I've seen ~ 25° differences on my 22.5 top to bottom but never that much of a difference. Now you got me thinking I should check on the other two. I have always realized the temp difference in my 22 so when I'm cooking tri-tips I load the bigger ones on top so everything gets done about the same time. Interesting observation. I wonder if the 14.5 has a wider gap between the bowl and barrel. Did you have water in the pan or was it dry? Next cook on my 14.5 I'll run two therms and see what I get and report back. Darn the bad luck I need to smoke something....

It's possible one of thermometer probes was off. But they've never been off before, and I tested both a few weeks ago in boiling water.

It's possible one of thermometer probes was off. But they've never been off before, and I tested both a few weeks ago in boiling water.
The question I always have when I see this is... Did one get wet? You know they aren't water proof right? Obviously the metal body is, but the backend of the probe were the wire enters is not, and if water gets in there it can/will ruin the sensor.

I was planning to do this for xmas, so definitely an interesting topic for me... How did the rib racks work, did the end ribs (the ones at the edges) cook faster?

Also, how was the positioning of your probe? I think that heat rises up the outside of the barrel more, any chance the bottom one was centered and the top was at the edge?

Sean, both probes were on the edge of the grate. I just tested both probes again in a boiling water bath, and they are spot on, so they didn't get wet. Regarding the rib rack, I think it worked fine. Ribs seemed evenly cooked to me. I will use the rack again.

Remember.... heat rises. So it could make sense.

Sure the hot air rises... but it doesn't leave a vacuum behind it. It pulls more air through the intake and into the fire... I wouldn't think hot air rising and the cold air sinking alone would cause hundred degree differences.
I've seen ~ 25° differences on my 22.5 top to bottom but never that much of a difference. Now you got me thinking I should check on the other two. I have always realized the temp difference in my 22 so when I'm cooking tri-tips I load the bigger ones on top so everything gets done about the same time. Interesting observation. I wonder if the 14.5 has a wider gap between the bowl and barrel. Did you have water in the pan or was it dry? Next cook on my 14.5 I'll run two therms and see what I get and report back. Darn the bad luck I need to smoke something....
That is an interesting point though. Water can suck up a ton of heat, anyone who has ever been burned by steam can attest to how much more energy is in hot steam then hot air... I could see the water pan pulling a lot of heat out of the lower rack, especially considering the rack basically sits right above it.

I think I'm supposed to be cooking ribs, steak and chicken for xmas dinner, so I'll try and remember to report back with how my 14.5 does.

Back