Insulating WSM

I decided to go with the Silver Bullet Jacket. It has worked very well for me, I don't notice it being affected by any weather changes, including wind.

I use old army blankets from garage sales. Just cut to fit. You can do two WSMs with one blanket.

c9d93f33aab8daa0717f92c760b6bf34.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to go with the Silver Bullet Jacket. It has worked very well for me, I don't notice it being affected by any weather changes, including wind.

I bought one last year but learned they're more intended to be used with an ATC. I have a real problem getting my WSM to stabilize with the blanket. I can see where an ATC would be an advantage. Are you using an ATC Jordon?

Bought a pair of 100% wool Army blankets last year. One has been my go-to for my WSM: it was 21 degrees here Friday night last and the R2 unit (which admittedly looks more like a Jawa when wearing the blanket) held a rock solid temp all night long. I wrap it just like J Hoge's photo above, but just use a metal spring clip to hold it together. I locate the "seam" right above my probe grommet, so no problems with access, etc. So far, it has proven its worth in the cold, in the wind, and in the rain...

Bought a pair of 100% wool Army blankets last year. One has been my go-to for my WSM: it was 21 degrees here Friday night last and the R2 unit (which admittedly looks more like a Jawa when wearing the blanket) held a rock solid temp all night long. I wrap it just like J Hoge's photo above, but just use a metal spring clip to hold it together. I locate the "seam" right above my probe grommet, so no problems with access, etc. So far, it has proven its worth in the cold, in the wind, and in the rain...

I use old army blankets from garage sales. Just cut to fit. You can do two WSMs with one blanket.

c9d93f33aab8daa0717f92c760b6bf34.jpg

Youre right ! It looks like R2 is trying to infiltrate the Jawa compound! That's funny. :p

I used what Harry Soo suggested and that's water heater insulation. I cut it to fit the mid section of my WSM and it worked like a charm last winter when I used it. I plan on using it again this winter. Cheap and easy to cut to fit!

Tim

I've used my WSM in temps from 90 degrees F to -22 degrees F, and I have never needed blankets.

My simple question is why do you want to do this, i.e. what am I missing?

I've used my WSM in temps from 90 degrees F to -22 degrees F, and I have never needed blankets.

My simple question is why do you want to do this, i.e. what am I missing?
Using more fuel to maintain temp is the biggie. I use an ATC and have noticed it runs more as the temps have gotten cooler outside. I haven't tried anything near -22 but I suspect the ATC would be running near constantly to keep the charcoal hot.

our nights can easily go -40, a wool blanket is deadly and nice and cheap. Also an atc in sub 0 is more of a negative i find because its blowing freezing air in rather than just nicely drafting it in, i have pointed a heater at the atc fan and that seems better.

God, you guys are making me feel wonderful about living in New Orleans -- we sometimes get freezing weather in December or January but it's usually above freezing once daylight arrives. Last winter we didn't have a freeze at all. Wind affects us but thank goodness, we don't have to deal with the cold -- or the EXTREME cold that some of you experience. Save one of those blankets to wrap yourself in when you're outside with that smoker, too!

Back