Installing a thermometer on a Q200

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
I recently found some great bargains on a couple Q200s and now I've got 3 of them. These grills are amazing when cooking for a couple people, the only thing they are missing is a thermometer. I've never had a Q with a thermometer so I've always just guessed when it was hot enough for food.

I'm going to paint the lids on two of my 200s and either sell them or give as gifts. I figured I would use these two as a testers for drilling and installing a thermometer. Also thinking it might make the grill more appealing for a potential buyer. I searched around Amazon and found this two pack at a decent price:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07CWN9QDB/tvwb-20

$11.99 for two is really cheap and the reviews are decent.

I read that some people use those step bits, but I figured even when using one of those I'd need a pilot hole. I measure and marked a spot right in the middle between the handle. Then I moved it up to get it further from the grate. These thermometers are kind of long and don't want them coming in contact with my food if possible.
I started with a very small drill bit and drilled a pilot hole. It was much easier to drill a hole in this lid than I had thought it would be. It was so easy that I just kept using standard metal drill bits instead of the step bit. After the pilot hole, I went a few sizes up then I used the 5/16" drill bit. 5/16" is the hole size you need to install this particular thermometer.
Also want to mention that I laid a towel inside my grill to catch any metal shavings.

Very easy job. Took a few minutes. Highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with a thermometer-less Q.

I also purchased this Weber thermometer and am going to be putting it on the Q200 I end up keeping. I'll report back when I install that, but I imagine it'll be same easy install just a different size hole.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005DMVY4G/tvwb-20

Here are some pictures:

To8tBZX.jpg

ko9MQNV.jpg

I6hT4qA.jpg

g2ym7tq.jpg

Kyle, I have done that on several Q grills. Yes, it does put a bow on a Q grill that you are rehabbing for sale.
I just used charbroil thermometers that I got from Walmart, I think $7 each. I do use a step bit but start with a small pilot hole. It is a very simple process.

Here is my private Q200:

qvI8qQr.jpg

fsEDJS3.jpg

You will notice the tip of the probe is only about an inch long so it is very much out of the way....However, I don't envision your thermometers being an issue with their length. They might even be a bit more accurate due to being closer to the actual cooking surface.

That is, of course, the "plus" of the Q 220/2200 which includes a thermometer and a higher hood designed to accommodate one. I think the solution you guys used is a good one. I wish you could by a bezel for a reasonable price. I haven't found one. I think with the addition of one of those, the add-on thermometer on a Q200/2000 would look more like it was designed to be there.

With my old Q, I am not too concerned with the looks. I just care about functionality.
I don't think the later Q grills had a real bezel though either. They simply had a recessed spot in the lid for the thermometer.

gMxsOYV.jpg

Yes, that is true for both the Q220 like your red one pictured and the later Q2200. I guess I just thought a bezel (like some Weber kettles and gas grills have) would make the thermometer look more like it was part of the original plan.

I agree, it would make it look more integrated, but those bezels are probably too big for a Q grill, at least a Q2xx. A much slimmer one would be nice though.

I also thought about a bezel, but the ones I found were actually about $14-18 for just the bezel. That's about what I paid for the grills so not sure I want to do that 😎
After I paint my lids and get them looking nice and fancy I might splurge on a bezel for my keeper Q.

That is, of course, the "plus" of the Q 220/2200 which includes a thermometer and a higher hood designed to accommodate one. I think the solution you guys used is a good one. I wish you could by a bezel for a reasonable price. I haven't found one. I think with the addition of one of those, the add-on thermometer on a Q200/2000 would look more like it was designed to be there.

Yep, Kyle, that’s what I found, too. Not worth it, and Bruce makes a good point about many of them being too thick.

Back