injection substitution suggestions

Patrick Redmond

TVWBB Member
Hi Im going to do a cook on thursday for pulled pork and I generally use FAB P injection for my butts..

In fact I always use it but I dont have enough time to order any in and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to a comparable substitute injection to use.

I would rather use something instead of nothing so I am open to all sorts of ideas.

Thank you in advance
P

I usually do Chris Lilly's seven time championship butt recipe.

What do you think FAB does for you?

I like the flavor that FAB adds. I have been a chef for MANY years and I honestly don't taste much of a difference between FAB and some form of powdered pork base but I have been repremanded for saying that and been told its loaded with flavor and moisture inducing sulfites.

again I just like the flavor and I think the butts that I inject are moist enough with or witout.

Do you have some other information that I might benefit from knowing about FAB?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I like the flavor that FAB adds. I have been a chef for MANY years and I honestly don't taste much of a difference between FAB and some form of powdered pork base but I have been repremanded for saying that and been told its loaded with flavor and moisture inducing sulfites.

again I just like the flavor and I think the butts that I inject are moist enough with or witout.

Do you have some other information that I might benefit from knowing about FAB? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, I don't. I have never used FAB.

Thanks for the observation, its very helpful to me.

I have used a similar product designed for beef briskets and, like you, was intrigued by the fact that this highly touted product tasted merely like really cheap french onion soup.

I've done some brine work (with and without phosphates) and found that (IMO) it does not significantly improve the texture or moistness of the final product. I have to believe that the benefits of these injections lie in the glutamates and the secondary flavor enhancers that are tough to come by (inosinate and guanylate).

One cannot deny how effective they are in competition.

ya know i think my brother and I have met up with u in comp.

Rubmasters.. my bro is the pitmaster for the team. we use to do The Amazing Blazing together but he cooks in others by himself.

icon_smile.gif

Back