injecting ribs

i searched on here for a topic covering this but came up with nothing... does anyone do this? i am entering my first comp in may 2011 and looking for some new ideas to practice before i get there....

Don't bother, they get plenty of flavor from rubs and foiling, and you'll need to worry about injecting your brisket/pork instead.

It seems to me FBA judges like ribs sauced and sweet...

GBA recently had a rule change and I'm not sure what was changed. However last year you could include a cup of sauce with your turn in. Judges were instructed to try the entry with and without sauce and score the one they liked best. If they didn't change the rules it's kind of a no-brainer to turn ribs in dry with a cup of sauce.

LOL... I just returned to the computer and realized my answer had nothing to do with your question... please disregard the above as the babblings of an old retarded nitwit...
icon_biggrin.gif

i dont want to if it is not beneficial, i was just wondering if anyone has done this. i have read about people doing this but have never tried... seems very time consuming...

Ribs generally aren't thick enough to hold an injection very well. Plus you run the risk of completely covering up the actual flavor of the meat itself, since the rubs and sauces already add a lot of flavor.

Honestly I have found on ribs that sometimes less is more. Meaning so many people over do it on their layers of flavors that you can't even taste the meat anymore. You just get a big mouthfull of rub and sauce.

I agree with you 100% JIRodriguez as over rubbing or saucing meat. Personally the best rub for me is kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked pepper lightly sprinkled over the meat.

Stuart, Please don't inject any ribs.I did it once,I missed the meat and hit the bone in my left index fingure.It swelled up the size of a golf ball.
icon_eek.gif
icon_mad.gif
LOL.

Hey Chuck, how well did your finger hold the injection? Did it seem to add enough flavor to warrant doing it again or would you just brine it next time?
icon_biggrin.gif

Don't listen to those folks, I've been injecting my ribs for years and they do come out better when I do. It of course depends on what you inject them with. You do have to be careful you don't inject yourself but you also have to be careful not to cut your fingers off too so figure that one out. Go for it, it does take time to get used to doing it and toward the short bones you might have a harder time injecting but take my word for it, it is WORTH IT.

Adrian

I can agree with Adrian to a point, but you should listen to everyones input and experiment until you find what you like.
I do inject butts & brisket. Some find it a waste of time, or they didnt like the injection they used. Not all injections work. I have tried many that I did not like until I found something that works for me.
My opinion is that ribs are thin enough to marinate if you want to add flavors but I like them with just a little rub and a glaze. I have only injected ribs a few times and just didnt find the need to do so. My ribs are good enough "for me" without marinating or injecting. That doesnt mean I am right, it is just my opinion..

Back