Inject Pork Butt How Long Before Cook?

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Sunday I'm cooking an 8.5 LB. Butt and will inject it with Chris Lilly's inject. SWMBO prefers injected pulled pork. Thinking about the cook, engineer mentality
icon_smile.gif
, I'm wondering how far in advance I can inject the Butt. Is it safe to inject 36 hrs. in advance?

Ray Lampe has cooked with Chris Lilly, so he should know. In his "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" he says to inject no more than 12 hrs before smoking, and I've heard the same guideline elsewhere on forums.

I'd suggest sometime trying Chris' peach butt injection that uses the juice from canned peaches. I like it better than the AJ based injection used in his shoulder recipe.

By the way, Chris' book and Ray's first book are by far my two most valued bbq books.

I dont remember where I read but it stated that if you inject for an extended period of time(like 12 hours) it will leak out. I tried doing an overnight injection once, when I checked on the meat the following am most of it had leaked out. My seasoning processi consists of rubbing the butt down with rub the night/day before, I pull from the fridge and inject 1-2 hours before I put it on the smoker and I rub it down again with more rub after the injection is applied.

Hi Lew, Can I ask why you would like to inject so far ahead of smoking. Is the thinking that the injection will marinate the meat somehow?

A little late to the post party but here is my 2cents. If your injection has a lot of salt in it over 12h the meat will start to cure and your butt will have a ham taste to it. After 36h even a little salt might start to cure your butt.
I inject about 6-8hrs before i smoke if I have the time. If the meat is in a cryo pac I leave it in and inject right in the pack, the meat holds the injection that way. If no cryo pac wrap it real tight in a layer of plastic wrap inject all around the meat then add a couple more layers of wrap and let it sit.
I saw a team on BBQ Pitmasters do this and it seems to work well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Merz:
If the meat is in a cryo pac I leave it in and inject right in the pack, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is why I love this board. I never thought of injecting in the cryo pac. Makes so much sense.
thanks Brian.

Thanks for all the input. You folks are really helpful.

Dave, I checked Ray Lampe's book and, sure enough, he said 30 minutes to 12 hours.

Tim, it isn't that I want to inject a long time before but I wanted to learn the time parameters of when it's appropriate to inject. I had no thought about marinating. I like to inject, apply the rub, and put on the cooker some hours later. I've done this a few times and injected 8 to 10 hrs before the meat went on the cooker and my wife liked the taste. We've been married 47 years and I just learned that her favorite BBQ, since childhood, is pulled pork. Now she tells me.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back