Infrared Thermometers

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Anyone have an affordable home use favourite? I'm looking at the Pro Series Non Contact Infrared Thermometer from Home Depot at $49.97 CDN. I'm building a temporary pizza oven this Spring and want to monitor the oven internal temp.

After a few flame-related incidents while learning to cook with a cast iron skillet and a wok, I got a Maverick infrared thermometer last week and love it. I got it on Amazon for $43.71 US with free shipping. I've gotten many years of good use out of my Maverick et-732's so went with that brand name.

When you're shopping non contacts, you need to know how big the "cone" is. I imagine you're wanting to find the "sweet spot" in your pizza oven, and if your cone is big, you wont get an accurate temp as your whole cone will be the temp you're reading, not just where the laser is pointing

Sorry to hijack and ask a question... infrared thermometers are used to measure cooking surface temps, right? Are you able to measure temps 2-3" above the surface? I assume you still need an internal probe for the meat you want to cook.

I've seen infrared thermometers used to measure temps coming out of HVAC ceiling vents.

I have had the Kintrex IRT0421 for a few years, and have had good results with it for random home uses.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0017L9Q9C/tvwb-20

It cost about $45 and has served me well. It takes readings in *F or *C, has an easy to read display, and maintains a display of the maximum temperature you've recorded since its last power-down. It has a single laser beam to show you where you're aiming. Other models emit a circular laser pattern, that corresponds to the size of the area you're measuring. IR thermometers display the average temperature over the circular area being measured, as the beam emitted from the unit is in the shape of a cone. This unit has a 12:1 cone, meaning when the target is 12 inches from the emitter, you're measuring the average surface temp inside a 1 inch diameter circle. At 48 inches away, it's a 4" circle, etc.. It is important to be aware of the size of the area you are measuring the temperature of, when using an IR thermometer.

I've used this for finding drafty windows and such in the wintertime, entertaining our cats, and a host of culinary uses as well.

Gene, you are correct, these measure surface temperatures. You can't really get a reading of what the temp is a few inches above that surface. They also don't work extremely well on highly reflective surfaces.

Last edited:

Back