indirect with no lid?

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,

At home I do most of grilling using indirect heat with the lid on my weber, anyone have any ideas how to do that without a lid? I was thinking about purchasing an inexpensive, aluminum roasting pan and placing it upside down over the meat...

best,

Why indirect with out the lid. I can see doing hot/safe zones no lid but indirect no lid makes no sense

Hi,

At home I do most of grilling using indirect heat with the lid on my weber, anyone have any ideas how to do that without a lid? I was thinking about purchasing an inexpensive, aluminum roasting pan and placing it upside down over the meat...

best,
Isn't the aluminum roasting pan putting a lid on it?

Yea, the whole reason for indirect is to use the lid on with the vent over the meat, which draws the heat towards it.
Taking the lid off is just an offset cook, the heat rises over the charcoal and the meat just sits there and maybe gets some sideways heat.
Like the others said, I don't get it.

sorry, I see the confusion now. We have a vacation condo in a community with a communal, big flat grill with no lid. They don't allow individual BBQs or smokers (I know, what were we thinking when we bought?). I could add a little wood to the fire, move the meat to the side and cover the whole thing with a big old aluminum pan. Obviously nowhere as efficient as a Weber with a lid but was wondering if anyone has other suggestions or has given this a try.

it does seem to me I could construct something that fits into their grill if I removed their grate...hmmm. Maybe the easiest thing is a Smokey joke set up right in their grill.

best,

Last edited:

Back