Indirect cooking

PeterSims

I've some lamb ribs done before in my wsm but found fat was not crispy enough so I've always gone back to the tried and tested kettle BBQ. Will be a Webber when it dies lol.
Basically wondering about taking the water pan out and going over the coals . But there not as much height in the 14. So flair up might be a issue I'm thinking and the mess will it just burn off or do I need to scrub it . Any thoughts welcome

Maybe try a combo of indirect/direct; start indirect to get close to desired doneness, then remove the bowl and go direct to finish and crisp the fat?

I recommend you score the fat cap and pre trim some of the cap off to help make crispier fat. That’s my goto method which has worked well for me.

I have never done lamb on my 18 inch wsm but I’d wager that it would work just fine with direct heat.
That is how I would do it anyway.
Maybe start off cooler then increase the temperature when required.
I don’t use a water pan (I will on my upcoming brisket cook though).
I either go with a diffuser or just cook direct over coals for about all of my cooks.
I haven't had any issues with fire flare ups even when I cook a large pork shoulder.
Scoring the fat cap works great and adds to presentation.

I’m interested in your cook would you mind sharing with us how it went?
Thanks.

Some interesting thoughts thank you . There cut ribs so not a rack . I've seen them fire dials online are they good or is it basically cooking with the water pan covered in foil.
I will post pics but I've gone for the tried and tested kettle BBQ . Lamb is not cheap in the UK. I like the idea tho of taking the water pan out and crisping up think that could be the way forward

Not sure you can post none wsm pics but that's basically it they had a 24h marinade in garlic chilly and rosemary and olive oil. A quick sear on both sides then I'll cook covered for anywhere up to about 2 hours

Attachments

• PXL_20240505_171729748.jpg
    PXL_20240505_171729748.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240505_171111632.jpg
    PXL_20240505_171111632.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 5
It's a 8 year old kettle under £100 done some amazing cookies and service. Thinking I'll just get a big standard Webber kettle when she eventually dies

Well that's the finished rib. Just not sure I can get that crispy fat on the wsm . Hence my first post

Attachments

• PXL_20240505_190709558.jpg
    PXL_20240505_190709558.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 4
Well that's the finished rib. Just not sure I can get that crispy fat on the wsm . Hence my first post
Those look fantastic!

The WSM is primarily a smoker, but there are other tricks and tips you can try for next time.

Getting the temp up with the barrel section can be enhanced by turning the door upside down and cracking/propping it open for more air flow. The more fuel and more air, the hotter you can get the temp at the grate.

Another idea and trick I use for steaks and burgers is to break down the WSM to be a grill by removing the barrel section, putting the top grate directly on top of the charcoal ring to get f'in hot and close to the coals. You just have to closely watch your meat for flare ups and monitor your meat temp/cook times.

Know your rig is the best advice I can give.

Back