Incredible Pork Shoulder Tonight

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I threw on an 8lb IIRC butt today on the Z Grill. Again, good meat, smoke, S&P. Daughter and SIL came over, and it was incredible. Again, no spritzing, no wrapping, no saucing I just put a small (1/2 sized) sheet pan on the bottom rack and the butt on the top. Temp set to 225 about 830-9 this AM. Just let it run. I noticed it seemed to be stalling at about 175-180. Pushed temp a little to 235-240. Never lifted the hood just let the grill do the work.
Pig candy. SIL was like "What did you put on this?" I told him just S&P and he's just incredulous S&P returned so much flavor and complexity. Great smoke, bone came out. Darn good butt.

Fantastic!
How long did it take to finish?
I may have to try a simple rub and no wrap
I put it on about 0830-0900 and pulled at 1830. Finished up sides and a couple other things while resting in a plain foil wrap. No cooler this time. Rested about an hour and we tucked in about 1930. Was a little later meal than planned. But so so good.
Today, daughter 2 is coming by with SO, and the 3 grandkids. Will make the giant cowboy ribeye from Sam's, and for her SO a filet (long story and I don't know if I could ever explain it LOL). The guy is one of the most self centered PIA people I have ever known but we "try".
I also need my car back. It's been on loan to him since wife has been laid up. But now my other car needs attention. Something in the high voltage system to the rear motor/gen. So the dealer needs to inspect it. Known issue but steps are pull down all lower shielding, full inspection and testing to determine extent, parts order than a 1 or 2 day "stay" to actually make the upgrade to the system.

I threw on an 8lb IIRC butt today on the Z Grill. Again, good meat, smoke, S&P. Daughter and SIL came over, and it was incredible. Again, no spritzing, no wrapping, no saucing I just put a small (1/2 sized) sheet pan on the bottom rack and the butt on the top. Temp set to 225 about 830-9 this AM. Just let it run. I noticed it seemed to be stalling at about 175-180. Pushed temp a little to 235-240. Never lifted the hood just let the grill do the work.
Pig candy. SIL was like "What did you put on this?" I told him just S&P and he's just incredulous S&P returned so much flavor and complexity. Great smoke, bone came out. Darn good butt.
Nothing better than letting the pig do its own talking.

I hadn't used my pellet grill for anything but burgers lately, so I went poking around costco to see if I could find some baby backs (pork loin back style ribs is what the call them, I guess). Ended up with three racks of those, and two massive butts. For whatever reason, I was in "simple" mode, and had a rub my brother and sister in law gave me for Christmas last year, essentially just S/P, onion, garlic, and coriander, and I added some brown sugar haphazardly.

Did the ribs Sunday, just scored the membrane, rubbed, threw on at 250 for 4 hours, brushed with sauce, and left for another 30. Delicious.

For butt #1 (can't cook two at once... I love pulled pork but that would be too much) I trimmed the fat, rubbed with the same, 12ish hours later, amazing. Crazy to me how cheap pork can be, how easy it can be, and how awesome it can be.

I have never trimmed any fat off the butts I buy from Costco or Sam's. Never found anything there to trim. (or worth trimming). I have been finding I am tending to like the bone in shoulders from Sam's

I have never trimmed any fat off the butts I buy from Costco or Sam's. Never found anything there to trim. (or worth trimming). I have been finding I am tending to like the bone in shoulders from Sam's
I have heard it both ways, but it logically makes sense to me that rubbing the fat which will render will not bark up, and I have not had the courage to risk it. But I have asked the question before, and it seems like 50/50 whether or not people trim. Maybe I will try no trim on the other one.

I have heard it both ways, but it logically makes sense to me that rubbing the fat which will render will not bark up, and I have not had the courage to risk it. But I have asked the question before, and it seems like 50/50 whether or not people trim. Maybe I will try no trim on the other one.
I've never had anything to trim on them. That is what is so confusing to me about your post. Costco and Sam's are the only 2 places I have ever seen pork shoulders and they're so well trimmed I could not trim one if I wanted to. I actually get a bit upset because there is no fat cap on them from either store. And I would LIKE a fat cap and to decide myself whether or not to trim it back.
At least on briskets they come cryovac packed from the packers and the store does not bother with it.

I've never had anything to trim on them. That is what is so confusing to me about your post. Costco and Sam's are the only 2 places I have ever seen pork shoulders and they're so well trimmed I could not trim one if I wanted to. I actually get a bit upset because there is no fat cap on them from either store. And I would LIKE a fat cap and to decide myself whether or not to trim it back.
At least on briskets they come cryovac packed from the packers and the store does not bother with it.
Interesting, there is a big fat cap on the butts I get at costco. Never been to sams. The ones I get are from... I think the brand is swift? They come bone out, in packs of two. There was a lot of fat cap on the one I made Tuesday.

I prefer the Sam's because it's bone in. I think they are a little easier to cook, but, I buy both. Would love to find one with the cap intact.

I prefer the Sam's because it's bone in. I think they are a little easier to cook, but, I buy both. Would love to find one with the cap intact.
I have had good luck with those double packs from Sam's myself. I think I have done some mild trimming, but nothing crazy. A fat cap on the bottom, I think, is actually good protection for the long cook. I just shave most all of it off after done cooking.

Back