In my brisket phase

Scott Dace

TVWBB Super Fan
The past month I have done 4 small flats weighing about 3 lbs each. I can't find full packers in massachusetts for some reason and when I ask my local butchers they have no clue what I want. Is the term "full packer" only found in the south? Up here when I ask they ask what prison I just got out of?!
Anywho, I have done a couple overnites and one HH. I'm doing another overnite in a couple days.

I get mine at cash and carry, or smart and final, same store different name. They are a commercial supplier of food and restaraunt supplies that allow the public in. Yesterday on my travels I was at a super sized Wallyworld that has a grocery in it. They had full size brisket packers. Some were also smaller and had obviously been trimmed but some were big daddies.

A 'packer' is by definition full, or whole (only the deckle is removed). The term is standard. If whoever you ask doesn't know what you're talking about perhaps they are meat department, employees or cutters - but they are not butchers.

3-lb flats aren't, really. They are pieces of flats, and those flats come from packers. If wherever you're buying is getting those already cut they won't have packers, not uncommon. If they can't order packers from their supplieryou'll have to seek a place with someone who can. Many chains get mostly already cut meat and do minimal cutting. Thus they don't need to hire actual butchers.
icon_frown.gif

Sounds like you need to find a real butcher.

As a side note, I cannot remember the last time I went to any grocery store and didn't see a big pile of cryovac packed briskets. This is Texas, though.

I can't get packers here in CT either but my local Shop Rite has a decent butcher window. The butcher there has hooked me up with a 6.6 lb CAB flat that really came out great.

Did you say you're cooking 3lb flats overnight? Wow. You must be cooking at like 150 degrees. Even at 2 hours per lb it should only take you 6 hours.

Your butcher is an idiot.

I get mine by the case, 10# each at a restaurant supply store.

Do you have a Sam's Club?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Dace:
The past month I have done 4 small flats weighing about 3 lbs each. I can't find full packers in massachusetts for some reason and when I ask my local butchers they have no clue what I want. Is the term "full packer" only found in the south? Up here when I ask they ask what prison I just got out of?!
Anywho, I have done a couple overnites and one HH. I'm doing another overnite in a couple days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Scott, Go to Oakdale packing (Crocetti's Meat Market) it is at 378 Pleasant St in East Bridgewater (should be about 10-15mins from you), everytime I go there they always have full fresh briskets 10-15 pounds, the last time I was there I think I payed around 2.49/lb.

Bill, another member suggested Crocetti's also and I get my pigs there but as I told Brian it seemed he had no clue what I wanted. I'll go and check again.

My overnight is only about 6 hours and at 200* It works out about the same

Unless you talk to the butcher they don't have a clue, One time I ask for a 15lb brisket and he came out with a 15lb corned beef brisket, now when I go in there I have to say "whole fresh brisket". Also there are a couple of others you could try also, Prevetti's in Weymouth on RT 53 across the street from easter's breakfast place, and also Town Butcher shop in Hanover across from Starland (a little pricy), Also I have bought briskets from Trucci's grocery in Abington (on RT18)

I called yesterday and asked for the price on a "whole fresh brisket". $2.59 a lb. So I was just using Texan nomanclature when I should have been using yankee nomanclature.
icon_smile.gif

Back