Important Question -- Glossy or Flat Black?

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
I know it's a lot to consider but these are the issues of our time.

Seriously, Bruce just sent this beautiful blue lid liner and I've got to attach end caps. Last night, I painted them flat black (because that's the only high temperature paint I had). I think it would look nice, maybe even great, that way. But today I picked up some glossy black. I know it's a matter of taste and there's no right answer. That having been said, which would you choose?

The Rustoleum hi heat ultra looks closer to the original finish. The important part of the equation is the prep work, whatever paint you decide to use.

Last edited:
I posted a similar question a while back about the firebox but here you can see the results of some the paint choices.

I know it's a lot to consider but these are the issues of our time.

Seriously, Bruce just sent this beautiful blue lid liner and I've got to attach end caps. Last night, I painted them flat black (because that's the only high temperature paint I had). I think it would look nice, maybe even great, that way. But today I picked up some glossy black. I know it's a matter of taste and there's no right answer. That having been said, which would you choose?
Why don't you post pictures of them so we can see what it looks like. It's kind of like showing your work on a math problem, plus everybody likes visual documentation of your progress.

Here are some photos in mat black. I like it.

Keep in mind, this hood is not going on this grill. The grill itself hasn't been cleaned or sprayed. The paint still needs to be touched up in a few places. And there's no handle in placeIMG_20220216_220126.jpgIMG_20220216_220102.jpg. So all I'm looking at here is the color of the hood and the end caps. I find the blue and the flat, almost grey, black look nice together.

Dan, I apologize. I said Krylon when I meant Rustoleum.
No worries. I wanted to make sure.

OK, now we are aligned and in agreement on the Rustoleum high heat ultra.

I used the krylon high heat on my silver B and it was more flat than I wanted. I used the Rustoleum on the stand for my BGE and on the 1000 cookbox of my hybrid and I prefer the finish of th rustoleum.

Last edited:

Keep in mind, this hood is not going on this grill. The grill itself hasn't been cleaned or sprayed. The paint still needs to be touched up in a few places. And there's no handle in placeView attachment 45576View attachment 45574. So all I'm looking at here is the color of the hood and the end caps. I find the blue and the flat, almost grey, black look nice together.
They do look nice. Paint color is a preference. You've read what mine is.

The cool thing is you get to choose.

Keep in mind, this hood is not going on this grill. The grill itself hasn't been cleaned or sprayed. The paint still needs to be touched up in a few places. And there's no handle in placeView attachment 45576View attachment 45574. So all I'm looking at here is the color of the hood and the end caps. I find the blue and the flat, almost grey, black look nice together.
Looks pretty good. You know you can just pull that thermometer out? No need to get paint on it as you can probably reuse it.

I have this Genesis Silver Handle I am not using anymore off of my Platinum if you need it Roy.
View attachment 45577
Thanks Samuel. I've already got a plastic handle. I've been talking to a fellow about having him make me a wooden one and I've also got one from another hood that's in need of some restoration. Plus basic wooden handles can be purchased for about $25. The one I've been looking into would be more but I think it would also be nicer. Steve posted about it in this thread:

Speaking from my own experience, wood is very difficult to "restore". I bought a house 20 something years ago that ended up having an oak hardwood floor underneath all the old carpet that I ripped out. I sanded it down and refinished it. It looked pretty good, but not as nice as I had hoped. As far as the wood on an old grill that's been sitting outside for the last 20 years, you have no chance of getting it to really look nice again. It has to be replaced if you are going for something really nice looking. You can sand it and bleach it until you're blue in the face and it will still look like s**t

Paint can be very subjective but I think your gut will tell you when you’ve found the right one. I tried the matte black once and it just looked old and faded to me so I wound up taking them back off for a respray. FWIW - I’ve settled on Krylon for both of my blacks and couldn’t be happier. I buy them from FW Webb, a multi-discipline wholesale distributor up here in the Northeast. Because of the no-frills industrial packaging and labeling, they are simply called “high heat paint” and “enamel” respectively but I’m sure Krylon is selling this exact same paint in home centers and hardware stores across the country with a much fancier name and label combo. Keep pushing forward, Roy...I’m a sucker for those blue lids and am looking forward to seeing the finished project. I’ll even sneak in a photo of one of my own finished blues to urge you on. DM me your address if you’d like and I’ll drop a couple of cans of the Krylon in a box for you to try as my contribution to the cause.
2BBEBBC7-87CC-436F-92BC-363845535AC7.jpeg0108BDD0-6D03-4E38-AB13-8510660A8ABF.jpeg078616ED-852B-49B6-818F-B5039B38F284.jpeg

Last edited:
Paint can be very subjective but I think your gut will tell you when you’ve found the right one. I tried the matte black once and it just looked old and faded to me so I wound up taking them back off for a respray. FWIW - I’ve settled on Krylon for both of my blacks and couldn’t be happier. I buy them from FW Webb, a multi-discipline wholesale distributor up here in the Northeast. Because of the no-frills industrial packaging and labeling, they are simply called “high heat paint” and “enamel” respectively but I’m sure Krylon is selling this exact same paint in home centers and hardware stores across the country with a much fancier name and label combo. Keep pushing forward, Roy...I’m a sucker for those blue lids and am looking forward to seeing the finished project. I’ll even sneak in a photo of one of my own finished blues to urge you on. DM me your address if you’d like and I’ll drop a couple of cans of the Krylon in a box for you to try as my contribution to the cause.
View attachment 45585View attachment 45586View attachment 45587
Wow, that's so generous of you, Tom. Thanks.

Back