I'm stressing...

Dennis Cramer

TVWBB Member
...well I'm trying not to.

This Saturday I'm competing in a friendly neighborhood rib cookoff with about 15 competitors. I'll be smoking my baby back using WSM.

Okay, the earliest setup is 10:00am with a 4:00pm turn-in time. I fear that I won't have enough time to do a true 3-2-1 so a modification will be needed. I'm think 2.5-1.5-1 with a slightly higher temp (275-300). I'm trying to find apple chunks but will probably end up with hickory.

For a rub I was thinking of using the BRITU rub with a mod on the salt ingredients. I think it'll be too salty so I would like to cut them down a bit. Also would reduce the cayenne as I don't want it to be too spicy. My other choice was to use the Chris Lilly rub. When I foil I'll add apple juice and maybe another type of juice. I'll also spray during the cook with the same juice mixture.

My sauce is basic, simple and GOOD. Sweet Baby Ray's simmered with apple preserve and some rub. Carmelizes real nice and tastes sweet.

Should I get meaty butcher bought ribs or just stick with Costco which I've done well with?

My main question relates to time and temp for the short period I have to finish. How shoudl I adjust my time and tmep to achieve good results within the timeframe specified.

I know I'm over-stressing and I should just focus on having fun (which I will) but I want to make sure my ribs are done.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. I guess I just need a confidence boosting.

Dennis

Couple of things, Firstly - why are you doing it? To have fun?? So have a couple of adult beverages and RELAX

Backyard comps are fun, but often not as well thought out as KCBS comps - like the 10 AM start and 4 PM turnin - but you've practiced that, haven't you?? The general rule is "more heat, less time"

If you have a nice sweet & spicy sauce, that would be a winner. If you are used to Costco ribs, cook Costco ribs - besides the meaty ones would probably take more time, which you don't have!

Two things you should do
1) Practice under contest conditions
2) RELAX - have another drink
icon_razz.gif

Hey Dennis, prepare everything that can be prepared before 10am. For example get all your rubs, sauces, pots and pans ready to go. Have your water pan foiled and filled with water and the amount of smoke wood you want to use. I personally think the BRITU rub is a little too spicy also. Instead of what is in the recipe, I use 2 tsp of the chili powder and 1 tsp of chipotle powder. The first few times I made the original BRITU rub, the ribs always turned out black (with a temp. between 225-250) so now instead of the 1/4 cup sugar and 1/8 cup brown sugar, I use 2 tablespoons of raw cane sugar and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. The ribs always come out a nice mahogany color. I always omit the salt from any rub recipe and put it on by itself. After about 10 minutes, I start putting on the rub. Since you're cooking babyback ribs, IMO 3-2-1 is too long. I would personally go somewhere around 2-1-1 with a temp. between 225-250 on the lid. Lastly, remember this is a friendly competition. Drink some beer, have a good time and try not to stress out about it.

I agree with the other Erik (spelled correctly I might add) The only baby back ribs I have cooked have been the ones from Costco and I am usually done around the 4 hour mark so you time frame should not be a problem. The 3-2-1 method is for spare ribs. Just have a game plan and you'll be fine.
When I first got my WSM I stressed about everything, time, temp, the smoke, it took me a while to just settle down and relax. It's a more enjoyable experience now and the food is better.

Dennis,

You will be fine and have plenty of time. Baby backs for me are about 5 hours at 250. Spares do take longer. Costco and Sam's ribs are fine, that is what I compete with. Your rub, sauce and wood all sounds fine and will do good.

Like Erik says I would have everything ready and have the WSM fired up so the ribs can go on at 10. The first 2 or 3 hours you can heat up to 300 or so no problem and just let it cool down by itself. I have finished them in 5 hours without wrapping in foil at all before but maintained 300 thru out the cook.

You will be fine and have fun. Let us konw how you do.

Randy

Back