I'm getting a bit redundant...

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
Ok. So...it's just more dry-aged N.Y. strips with baked sweet potatoes and corn. Nothing new, but at the same time, it just never gets old.

Two things ARE different about this cook, however. I shelved the briquettes and cooked all of this with Whole Foods' 365 brand lump. Worked nicely.

The rub, no joke, has about 14 ingredients in it. It's my "garbage" rub. LOL I didn't measure anything out. I just threw a bunch of stuff together, and it worked well. For the record, today was the most beautiful day ever for June. Sunny, low humidity, and an ever present NW breeze. Unreal. Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Hayden - wow that looks good. A 14 spice rub, wow!!

Have to say that my wife and I absolutely love the rub you shared in this post:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/577108935

Thank you very much for sharing. The only thing I do is drop the chile by 1/2 tsp and increase brown sugar 1/2 tsp. We love a dark, crunchy crust. You latest offering is bang on!! Love that dark crust.

Oh Sure, "Enjoy the pictures"...butt i can't reach in there an' grab a cob o'corn or fork a strip ova here.... what good is enjoying the pictures if we can't sample the cook??!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Hayden, REALLY, another greatLookin' grillin'!

Originally posted by W.Bedford:
Hayden - wow that looks good. A 14 spice rub, wow!!

Have to say that my wife and I absolutely love the rub you shared in this post:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/577108935

Thank you very much for sharing. The only thing I do is drop the chile by 1/2 tsp and increase brown sugar 1/2 tsp. We love a dark, crunchy crust. You latest offering is bang on!! Love that dark crust.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you enjoy the dark crunchy crust, increase the brown sugar, but keep the chile the same. And thank you for the compliment. I'll post what was in this rub here momentarily.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Oh Sure, "Enjoy the pictures"...butt i can't reach in there an' grab a cob o'corn or fork a strip ova here.... what good is enjoying the pictures if we can't sample the cook??!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Hayden, REALLY, another greatLookin' grillin'!

Thanks a ton Jimbo. That lil smiley face below your name...the one shovelin' food into his trap... That was me to the 10th power. LOL I've never been known as a slow eater.

The rub...

sea salt
ancho pepper
smoked paprika
brown sugar
coffee
chipotle pepper
cracked black pepper
garlic powder
allspice
orange peel
thyme
oregano
crushed red pepper

Ok. So it's 13 things. Sue me. LOL

Looks great - how can you get bored with dry aged steaks
icon_eek.gif

Just wondering, I don't buy 365 lump. Tried it once in a pinch when I was out of Humphrey. When I tried it a couple years ago. It was 100% scrap flooring and trim. Not that that is bad as long as they don't use finished scraps (they don't). But it didn't have that natural smoke smell/flavor. Probably because the wood they use has been kiln dried. Didn't like so much how it burned, etc.

When I checked with them on supplier it was Cowboy lump.

Wondering if the quality or supplier has changed.

Originally posted by r benash:
Looks great - how can you get bored with dry aged steaks
icon_eek.gif

Just wondering, I don't buy 365 lump. Tried it once in a pinch when I was out of Humphrey. When I tried it a couple years ago. It was 100% scrap flooring and trim. Not that that is bad as long as they don't use finished scraps (they don't). But it didn't have that natural smoke smell/flavor. Probably because the wood they use has been kiln dried. Didn't like so much how it burned, etc.

When I checked with them on supplier it was Cowboy lump.

Wondering if the quality or supplier has changed.

I'm probably a poor judge of it's quality. It worked well for me, but I have little to no experience with lump outside what I got last night. I have a hard time even finding lump around here, aside from some occasional Royal Oak. Neither the Lowe's nor the Home Depot carry any. This stuff burned nice and steady for me. There were some good sized pieces in what I used last night, although most of the pieces looked the size of a typical briquette. Stuff sounds like ice cracking when it's lighting in the chimney. LOL

Yeah I found it to spark a lot and burn fast. You need to try some Humphreys. Let me know if you want a couple bags to try and I can drop them off or we can meet. We're neighbors - I'm in Havertown. You can get Humphreys in Pottstown, Philly and Reading. Cowboys and 365 is everywhere close though. I just buy 10 or more bags at a time when I pick up the Hump.

Originally posted by r benash:
Yeah I found it to spark a lot and burn fast. You need to try some Humphreys. Let me know if you want a couple bags to try and I can drop them off or we can meet. We're neighbors - I'm in Havertown. You can get Humphreys in Pottstown, Philly and Reading. Cowboys and 365 is everywhere close though. I just buy 10 or more bags at a time when I pick up the Hump.

That'd be awesome. Next time you make a purchase, let me know and we'll meet up. I'm in for 3 bags. :)

Back