I'm curious about some other foods...

Tom in VA

TVWBB Member
I have been thinking about doing something like smoking some cheddar cheese, tuna steaks or loin, or rockfish. Has anyone had any luck (good or bad)and have any suggestions?

I've done plenty of salmon and I've have it where I like it, and would like to get a little creative, maybe I'm just have the winter doldrums but if anyone has tries some unusual I would llike to hear about it.

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks, I had read that and was wondering if there were any other peeple who had tried it (with or without success).

Was also considering some new fish to try so maybe i'll give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks....

Tom

I have smoked cheese twice now. I really like it. Well most of it. I have done swiss, baby swiss, sharp cheddar, pepper jack, colby, motzarella, and a combo of cheddar and white cheddar. The only one I didn't like at all was the sharp cheddar. The swiss was like an ash tray but I sealed in the food saver and let it set for 2 weeks and it was excellent after the set time. All the rest was excellent right out of the smoker.

I have only done cheese in the winter when the temps were in the 30's. I used 4 pieces of charcoal and laid a piece of apple and cherry on top of the charcoals. I found that 1 hour was the max amount of time I would suggest. Though I did use some of the small blocks that the grocery sells. I don't remember if they were half pound or pound blocks.

I have been wanting to try some tuna and actually stoped by the market a few weeks ago to get some but they only had one piece left. I haven't been back in the area since. If you try it post your results.

Back