I'm considering getting a new Wok........

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I have carbon steel woks, never used a cast iron one. I do love cooking on my carbon steel ones. I like the fact that they heat up and cool down really fast. When I raise and lower the temp on my burner the heat change is almost instantaneous.

How's the maintenance on carbon steel? I suppose if I can handle cast iron & stainless it'll be just fine. Does the one I have linked look ok? I installed a decent gas range about a year ago....

I have two of the 14" CS woks, similar to the linked one with the flat bottom so no wok ring needed.
New are shipped with a machine oil coating to prevent rusting. That needs to be scrubbed off, than do a burn-off to get rid of any residue. Do it on a nice day when you can open the windows, or if you have a side burner on a gasser or a turkey fryer do it outside.
Bunch of different ways to season them, here is one.
http://www.culinate.com/articles/features/how_to_season_a_wok

Tim

Have you considered a plow disc? Though not a traditional wok per se, I think they are very wok-like. Not to mention the cool factor.

I'm thinking about getting a new wok, it'll be used mostly on my stove I figure. I've been using a 12" cast iron skillet for fried noodles & stir fry for the last couple of days and thought about stepping up my game....it's been ~20 years since I've had/used one.

Any pointers?

I pmmed you.

I might have to reconsider the discada........ I guess the main thing would be where to keep it... ....might have just the place.

I have had a carbon steel wok for years. Once I got it properly seasoned it
is a dream, and I find it easier to maintain than my C/I products.

I've had my Joyce Chen CS 14" for two years now and enjoy it. It took a while to season properly but once done, it works well. I primarily use it on the Performer. Good Luck!

I use the large carbon steel Wok and love it, works great on the OTG with a removable center grate section. One advantage over the cast iron is cast iron brings the heat all the way up the sides. The steel woks get a little cooler as you go up the sides offering you different temp zones.

I like the few cast iron pans that I use, but for a wok carbon steel please. I like to pick the wok up and swirl
the food around as I cook, especially fried rice. Can't do that with cast iron.

looks like I've settled on a 14" carbon steel wok kit, going with a flat-bottom. Last night I thinly sliced flank steak & marinated it in terriyaki sauce / sesame, etc, and made shrimp fried rice and ....... pea pod beef I'll call it. I've got a Julienne Peeler too. Kung Pao chicken tonight, I think!

Clint,

Glad you have made a selection and I hope you are pleased with it.

I wanted to share my experiences with the wok. I use it for many dishes - not just stir frying or deep frying. When I want to cook / sear tuna steaks inside, the depth of the wok allows me to do that without getting oil splatter all over the stove top. Same thing if I want to do lamb chops or steaks. I know this is heresy but if it is hurricane weather outside, I use the wok inside. Also great for "browning" chicken that will later be roasted.

Ray

Clint,

Glad you have made a selection and I hope you are pleased with it.

...the depth of the wok allows me to do that without getting oil splatter all over the stove top...
Ray

That's the reason I'm considering another wok, to avoid spatter.

that'll definitely be a good thing! I still haven't taken advantage of my microwave's blower.....using it as a range hood, even though I've got the materials to vent it outside....it's getting smokey in here. I got a spatter shield for frying.....and a dedicated deep fryer I haven't used for a couple+ years. I'll try to remember this thread after a while and update how it does with frying.

Back