igrill2

F

fritz

does anyone have this product?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NC4KU42/tvwb-20

if so, how is your range? as it bluetooth i can only get about a 30' range with no obstructions even though they say it has a 150" range in Bluetooth (i though Bluetooh only had a range of about 30-50' - go figure). Considerably less if a wall is in the way. kind of defeats the intended purpose of the product. and its not cheap at 100.00.

So before i return it, am i missing something?

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Even though this is WAY after your post. I just got one for Christmas. I haven't cooked with it yet but I tried the range out. It's definitely going to work for me but I'll have to admit I was nervous. 30 ft is probably safe with any obstructions for me. I gotta believe the range is more like 20 yards, picturing a football field or something. I set it in the back yard by my smoker and then walked about halfway down my carport in the front yard before I lost signal. Bluetooth is probably the wrong technology if you have a bigger house. For me it's great. Seems similar to the range on my Maverick et-732. Easily the same as the et-73. I'm excited to post some pointless pics of graphs. Also having the extra probes is nice.

Charles H.

TVWBB Super Fan
Bluetooth devices generally comply as follows.
Class 3 1 mW less than 10 meters
Class 2 2.5 mW 10 meters, 33 feet
Class 1 100 mW 100 meters, 328 feet

Even if the igrill2 has more than 2.5mW output and can maintain connection up 150' cell phones and tablets cannot generally do that.

F

fritz

Wasn't aware of the different classes. Im thinking that on paper (as you said ) yes BT has the "capability" to reach 150'. But in practice ie your phone it can't. All i know is with no obstructions I was able to walk 15paces(45') before it lost communication. Put one wall between, 20'. Not real life practical. I returned the first but had the same results with the second. It got returned.

I equate it to having high performance sports car with all the bells and whistles with a 50hp engine.

Maybe if it would go wifi. Or cloud?