iGRILL MINI

DAVE IN CINCY

TVWBB Member
I received an iGRILL mini as a gift and wonder if anyone has used one?

If so, how do you run the wire to the probe?

It seems if you run the wire under the lid, you loose control of the air.

Thanks

I received an iGRILL mini as a gift and wonder if anyone has used one?

If so, how do you run the wire to the probe?

It seems if you run the wire under the lid, you loose control of the air.

Thanks

Dave, id guess it would depend on what kind of cooker you have.. I have a WSM and much like JR said, I run it through the rubber grommet in the side of the cooker. I have an uncle with a BGE and iv seen him carefully lay the lid down on the wire (which seems dangerous knowing how sensitive these things can be).

Give a little more info on your cooker, im sure someone here has an idea.

rb

Well I'm at a disadvantage. My WSM doesn't have a grommet. I'd like to put one in if I can do so without damaging the finish.

Any thoughts?

My BGE doesn't have a gasket, so it won't work there I'm afraid.

I have an older wsm and it does not have rubber grommet. So I bought a kit that changes the upper screws out for hollow ones that you can run any probes through. I have the original I grill and run 2 probes through my grommets every smoke. 1 for grate temp and 1 for meat temp works like a champ. I use to close lid on probe wires but that can kink them so this is way better option. Install was easy. Cajun bandit I believe I got them from. Cheap as well. Was a while ago.

Frank

I almost ordered the kit, and then read the instructions. It said to drill a hole.........I confirmed this with Customer Support.

So what is the point? If I drill the finish is compromised.

Rust Oleum has paint which will withstand 2000*. I think I will drill away, paint and make my own plug.

If you are going to drill, drill big and use the weber grommet.

You are not going to get anywhere need 2000* in your smoker, so you don't need the super high temp paint.

You could just run your probe wires down the lid vent.

I certainly did not drill into my wsm. I simply replaced the top screws with hollow ones. It was simple and came with everything I needed. Check other mod websites. I wish I could remember where I bought them from many many years ago.

Dave in Cincy;

The simplest way to handle the thermometer probe wires is the slot the top of the WSM with an angle grinder:

It takes maybe a couple of minutes to cut it with the angle grinder, then another couple of minutes with a file.

You live close enough to me to come and look at mine (if it ever stops raining:rolleyes:). I'll be happy to show you how. Frankly, if you bring the smoker barrel with you I'll show you how, loan you the tools and you can do it right here.

I have an 18.5 that has no grommet so that's what I did for it. My 14.5 came with a grommet and after using it a couple of times, I put the slot in it and have never looked back. The slot is MUCH easier to use in operation.

Just send me a Private Message, if you are interested, and I will give you my address and phone number. I am long retired so it will be easy to find me.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back