If you couldn't have a WSM, what would you buy?

David,

The Grill Doctor has recently become notorious for accepting your order while the merchandise is not in stock. I recently read a thread where they said the merchandise was in stock, then it wasn't, then it was and would be shipped the next day, then wasn't..This has gone on for weeks and is still not resolved. I hate flaming a company online but in this case I feel I must. If you haven't yet placed your order with them, I would suggest looking elseware.

they emailed me and said they were out, but would be back in stock monday, so you are right. i will call monday and if no luck, will order from amazon. unfortately, amaz, unless on sale, is much more than grill doc at 179

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
David,

The Grill Doctor has recently become notorious for accepting your order while the merchandise is not in stock. I recently read a thread where they said the merchandise was in stock, then it wasn't, then it was and would be shipped the next day, then wasn't..This has gone on for weeks and is still not resolved. I hate flaming a company online but in this case I feel I must. If you haven't yet placed your order with them, I would suggest looking elseware.

Bill thanks for bringing this to attention. This company had been horrible dealing with. Here's my post from www.bbq-4-u.com . I hope posting this here will save someone from going through the garbage I have.

I ordered a WSM for my brother on 17 September 2006 from the www.grilldoctor.com . I chose the 2nd day air as the shipping option. I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail by the expected delivery date, so I e-mailed them on 19 September 2006. I received an e-mail back from them saying the WSM's were on back order and they expected them at the end of the week or the beginning of the following week. By 26 Septemeber, my brother still had not received the WSM so I sent them another e-mail. Got another reply saying they would be in this week and they would send them out ASAP. By the 29th I still had not heard from the Grill Doctor I sent them an e-mail asking had the WSM's come in yet. I never heard back from them in response to my e-mail, so I called them Monday morning on, 2 September 2006. I spoke with Aleck, he said they were in and they would be sent out Next Day Air. Well the 4th of October rolled around and still no WSM. I called them back and spoke to a woman this time, she said they still had not received the WSM's. I explained to her Aleck told me they were in and it was being shipped out 2 days ago. She put me on hold and Aleck got on the phone. I asked why he lied to me, he said he didn't. I said you told me the WSM's were in and it would be shipped out 2 days ago. He apologized and guaranteed me that it would be shipped out Friday and my brother would receive it Saturday. So I check my e-mail this morning to check to see if there is a tracking # or something. To my surprise, NOTHING. I call and talk to Aleck again, he said they didn't come in. I asked what happened to my guarantee????????? And proceeded to pretty much tell him what I thought of him. I asked to speak to a manager, he said he was the manager. I said you've gotta be kidding me. Now his story is they will be in Monday..........

Good timing for this string...

I bought my WSM three years ago, largely due to the virtual bullet site. And I absolutely got hooked and I love it. But after three years of battling the altitude, unpredictable weather and high winds in Colorado, I broke down and got a Traeger Texas Style.

Well - I had my 1st cook today and the 6 pork chops, 2 butterfly chickens and potatoes all came out superb with less effort than going to a restaurant. So far - I'm impressed, but I will hold off judgment until I do an overnight.

A couple of early concerns I have with the Traeger...

1st - no super support group like the Weber Virtual Bullet! Let’s face it, this web site and the users are the definition of what the internet and www were designed to be.

2nd - I'm concerned with not being able to control the amount of smoke (getting enough) at high temp cooks like meatloaf sausage logs etc...

3rd - that my kid will now have to go to Jr. College since I just spent his college fund.

Anyway - I do love the WSM and will continue to use it as there is not a better introductory smoker out there to learn on.

If anyone has any experiences on a Traeger - I would love to hear about them.

I went back and re-read some of the posts on this subject now that I know a little more about smokers (perhaps very little). Interesting comments.

Stumps gravity or a Lang 48 for home use. Ceramics are nice, just don't know about quanity. Have always wanted a brick one in the backyard, something like the Wilbur.

A Primo Oval
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Jeff Bittel:
I think I would get a Brinkman....

JUST KIDDING! DON"T SHOOT ME!
icon_razz.gif

We wouldn't have to ... you'd be doing it yourself !
icon_smile.gif
. Just imagine the misery of using what we've used for so long ... and then having to go back.
icon_frown.gif

Paul

For versatility a BGE
For capacity a Backwoods
To really impress a 65# whole pig on a Ranch Kettle but you'll need to buy at dealer cost to stay on budget.

Those are on budget.

Legend from Ole Hickory is really nice but you need an extra zero.

FEC-100 is a race car that can win on race day. But just like a race car it does need a pit crew , spare parts and may not start and/or finish the race due to breakdowns. That's based on owning the original and the latest version and putting north of 4,000 pounds of pellets and well over 5 tons of meat through them.

The only WSM failure I've ever had was an old Brinkman water pan got chipped, rusted through and dripped water on the fire. A $5 stainless salad bowl from wally world was the permanent fix.

Back