If I drill holes in my WSM do I have to paint them?

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
So I'm actually finally going to do the mods I've been wanting to do. Now the question I have is if I drill any holes in the WSM am I supposed to paint them? Will this prevent rusting or will it not even rust anyway? If I need to paint it do I just use a high heat spray paint?

I would not recommend painting, others may have differing opinions but, HH paint will ”out gas” some pretty nasty toxins.
I would just wipe the new surfaces with peanut oil (or some other food grade oil) and just let it ”season”.

In the past I have masked and spray painted the chipped areas around holes I drilled in the WSM, but only on the outside surface. I would not worry about the inside, as it will quickly gunk up with grease.

So I'm actually finally going to do the mods I've been wanting to do. Now the question I have is if I drill any holes in the WSM am I supposed to paint them? Will this prevent rusting or will it not even rust anyway? If I need to paint it do I just use a high heat spray paint?
Curious - What mods are you doing?

I have done all 3 of those mods, you really don't need to use any paint. I too have done what Chris responded to in his post #3 above.

Use a black sharpie on the cut edge. I deburr any large enough first.

Also the wheels in theory sound like a good idea. I bought a used one for my son and took them off. Adds a ton of stress where it wasn't intended. Not only the casters weren't tight it also loosened the legs and wore off the porcelain enamel. I added fiber washers between the legs and smoker as well.

I keep thinking about making a triangular “dolly” for my WSM. Attaching the wheels to that and using some kind of clip to lock the legs in place. Still in mental design stage, no access to metal working equipment so, some sort of wooden frame maybe with a piece of perforated sheet steel on top? Really should not be too tough.

Last edited:
Use a black sharpie on the cut edge. I deburr any large enough first.

Also the wheels in theory sound like a good idea. I bought a used one for my son and took them off. Adds a ton of stress where it wasn't intended. Not only the casters weren't tight it also loosened the legs and wore off the porcelain enamel. I added fiber washers between the legs and smoker as well.
The newer WSMs come with fiber washers to place between the legs and charcoal bowl. If you follow Weber’s instructions you’ll never get them on (at least I couldn’t).

I keep thinking about making a triangular “dolly” for my WSM. Attaching the wheels to that and using some kind of clip to lock the legs in place. Still in mental design stage, no access to metal working equipment so, some sort of wooden frame maybe with a piece of perforated sheet steel on top? Really should not be too tough.
I thought if the wheels or tge frame are bolted or so to the legs and then supported...
Course you may want it removable, tgat would be clips then

I thought if the wheels or tge frame are bolted or so to the legs and then supported...
Course you may want it removable, tgat would be clips then
Maybe just notches?
I need it removable since I “store“ it on a pallet in the garage when not in use, and it would be lighter when dumping ash.
I might need to reassess the pallet option but, that’s the thinking behind the clip or notch concept. The cart idea would also raise the working height to save my back a little as well…

paulks-1.jpg

I was thinking about doing something like this.

Back