Ideas for putting extra lid and middle section to good use

YYang

TVWBB Fan
Fedex just dropped off my 22.5'' WSM this morning. The center section was out of round, and the lid had scuff marks on the porcelain finish, so Weber is sending out replacements for those two parts (minus handles, thermometer, and access door).

Anyone out there have ideas for how I can make good use of these two parts without an extra charcoal bowl? I'm sure there are much better things to do than junk them. These are the potential applications I can think of at the moment:

-hovel for my pet cats
-tornado shelter (I live in mid-Missouri and don't have a storm cellar)
-impractical Halloween costume to scare the neighborhood kids

You'll need the water pan, the cooking grates and the missing handles too. Forget the thermometer!

True. Grate and lid handle could be borrowed from the kettle that is becoming the new fire bowl. You would need a water pan and they are available. there are other alternatives available if you run dry (terra cotta saucer).

One better A donor CL 18" kettle would give you two new handles for the lid could be inverted and foiled as a dry water pan.

The only real item that you either pay up or sacrifice having is the lower cooking grate.

another WSM is cool.... but I like the Halloween costume to scare the neighborhood kids idea... hahaa

If you do big turkeys like 22lb's or more use the lid for the OTG, also useful if you do vertical roasted chicken on stands or cans.

Tim

What's OTG?

OTG stands for one touch gold.
The OTG is the weber kettle with a one touch ash sweep as opposed to the old school daisy wheel vents and the gold has the ash bucket.
A OTS (one touch silver) has the one touch system but does not have the built in ash bucket. It has the plate where the ash falls onto.

The parts do indeed fit on the kettle! It's a little scary how tall it gets when stacked like that (I'm 4'10'' and I could fit inside the cooker twice over). I'm also considering turning the stacker into a drum-like device for roasting things at high heat, kind of like the wood-fired oven below:
DaDong-Roast-Duck-Restaurant-Beijing-China-Duck-Oven.jpg

I know that Weber sells a compatible smoking rack for hanging meat. I'm just not sure if I could get it hot enough to reach roasting temperatures, even with the access door removed. The advantage of this approach would be that I don't have to buy a bunch of extra racks and pans.

What's OTG?

Check the OP's sig :)

You could also cut the mid-section right above the door and use that as a extension for the OTG. Use that for pizza or and extra rack or cut a few grooves in it and use it for a rotisserie.

That is to useful of an item to use for fluff.:wsm:

Tim

Back