Ideas for Gen 5000 Wood?

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
Gents, I'm still hanging around, but haven't been posting lately. My dad passed away suddenly back in February, and then I went pretty much into full virus hibernation mode pretty soon after. Finally have his affairs finalized and am getting antsy. Anyway, I still have this 5000 that I want to finish up and was thinking that I might replace the durawood (probably won't).

Any ideas for color of stain that might look good? I was thinking something really light, but not sure whether a light color would look good very long. The grill doesn't really need much work other than cleaning. I'll probably paint the frame and endcaps, but I think I"d just make things worse if I painted the body pieces and z rails.

And.....I haven't messed around with the new board software much....how do I go to the first unread post of a thread?

z9un5lz - Imgur.jpg

I would stick with the durawood unless you just want a project to work on. The durawood is by far the easier to maintain and care for. If you change out the slats, you are probably going to want to change out the handle as well.
If you do go with wood, I really like the darker finishes I have been seeing that bring out the wood grain really well.

With that color, I would stick with the durawood. Goes with the frame and the hood. If you do end up staining wood, use something that will make the grains pop out.

I have one that is the same color and I have been trying to come up with a stain color as well. I don't know much about the Durawood, but I swear mine is wood. Not something that is fake. The slats are dry, but the color is ok. Thinking that maybe all I have to do is clean up and then put some sort of outdoor sealer on them. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpg
    IMG_4260.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4262.jpg
    IMG_4262.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 15
I have one that is the same color and I have been trying to come up with a stain color as well. I don't know much about the Durawood, but I swear mine is wood. Not something that is fake. The slats are dry, but the color is ok. Thinking that maybe all I have to do is clean up and then put some sort of outdoor sealer on them. Any ideas?
I think yours is durawood as I rehabbed one like that awhile ago. I cleaned up the wood then sprayed it rustoleum high heat gray paint. It came out well and I like the durawood only because it's easier to maintain.

Without a close up, it is hard to tell, but the wood is much lighter in weight than the durawood and really pretty easy to tell the difference if you have them in hand. A lot of Genesis grills came with the wood painted gray.

The picture below is what I think you have and I KNOW these are real wood.

wood shelves.jpg

Without a close up, it is hard to tell, but the wood is much lighter in weight than the durawood and really pretty easy to tell the difference if you have them in hand. A lot of Genesis grills came with the wood painted gray.

View attachment 6453

Mine had real wood when I picked it up. It was to far gone to salvage.

I went with 1 x 2 oak

Maybe we should start a glass door club!?

Attachments

• B1339E4E-60FD-4906-962D-94FBD5E87756.jpeg
    B1339E4E-60FD-4906-962D-94FBD5E87756.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 12
Ha, those two shelves I pictured above actually came from a Genesis 5000. I wish I had the whole grill, but I just acquired a few parts. Certainly not enough to gain me membership to the "CLUB".

I think I would use use a light gray semi-opaque stain. Weber did make grills with WOOD that was stained light gray and looked a lot like the later durawood.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try and clean up the slats. They seem to be in fairly good shape. I feel like they need some type of sealer. I don't want to take away from the color. If I go with new wood, I like the light gray semi-opague stain idea.

View attachment 6453
That's it Bruce!

My 5000 as well as the couple I have seen in person all had the wood slates painted gray.

Jeff

Back