Ideas For Finding Weber Grills To Rehab

EdW

TVWBB Member
This is probably old news to most but thought I'd throw it out there. Please chime in with other ideas.

1) Craig's List: I have alerts set in my Craig's List so that the minute someone posts a listing about Weber Grills I get an email. That is really helpful to get a jump on others especially if there is a curb alert. It is also a great way to get parts, I've seen new in box Weber rotisserie, Flavorizer bars, etc.

2) Craig's List in neighboring areas: I often look at neighboring areas to see what people have listed. I live a couple of miles from Wash DC, but to get my Genesis II: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?64257-Renovation-Genesis-2-has-begun-lots-of-pics I drove to Wilmington Delaware. My wife is a doll and loves my madcap schemes so she went with me. She is AMAZED at how nice the rehab came out, she LOVES our "new" grill. So, don't be afraid to drive a little, make a nice trip out of it. TAKE TOOLS to take your grill apart, and old blanket to lay them on, plastic bags to put grill grates in and gloves. I have a 2010 Subaru Outback and easily got the Gen II in the back with seats down.

3) Craig's List Want Ad: Pop a free want ad in CL "Looking for old Weber Grills, will pick up and take away!"

4) Neighborhood Listserv: If you have a neighborhood Listserv or newsletter, get a notice in there. On my Listserv I put a listing in that I was looking for grills to restore and posted a picture of what I was after. I didn't mention paying for one, just that I'd be happy to come and get it and take it away for you. Of course if asked, I'd be happy to pay depending upon what I was after. Right away I got a note from a lady who wanted her Genesis Silver gone. I got it for free, swapped the lid and wheels for my current rehab and now cleaning hers for re-sale to get some money back.

5) Estate Sales: I've seen several Webers at estate sales. One was a beauty Redhead that I've been dying for and they wouldn't drop the price $70. And in the end they gave it away to charity. Another one I recently went to was a Gen Silver and they were practically begging me to offer them anything, but my deck is crowded now with grills :).

6) Trash Day: You might get lucky on trash day and see some on the curb.

Last edited:
Ed,
Great post and some excellent ideas.

If I can add some things.
When searching Craigslist besides checking for Weber look for grill, gas grill, or the infamous Webber misspelling.

Use a network of Friends/Family:
I work with several older gentleman and they, as well as their Wives, love to go to yard/garage sales. I have them look for me for items like Weber Grills as I personally hate the scene but love the bargains.They can report back and let you know what they find often for bargain prices.

Don't be afraid to travel,
For my last two purchases I went from Massachusetts to New York for both of my Weber Grills, 450 miles round trip for my 4900, and 373 for my Weber 3200 Platinum II.
I didn't think of it as a chore.
I brought a friend and then my Brother and we did some talking,meet some new people, seen places we never seen before, and my favorite, dined at restaurants we never would have tried if not for the road trip. Make the most of it and enjoy the experiences.

Jeff

I love grabbing a friend and taking a road trip for a grill. Its a very low-impact trip (its not even that much heavy lifting!).

Compared to grabbing arcade games, my friends love trips for grills... :-D

When searching Craigslist besides checking for Weber look for grill, gas grill, or the infamous Webber misspelling.f

Thanks Jeff, I have searched the other suggestions but never the Webber misspelling. I found a few listings there.

Back