Ideal wood combo for baby-backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Griffin

TVWBB Member
OK, I know this isn't the first time this question has been asked, but what is everyone's favorite wood combo for smoking ribs?

The reason I'm asking is that while I can always find apple and hickory (locally) I finally broke down and I ordered up some cherry, pecan, and oak from Kingsmoke.

Can't wait to experiment!

Thank you very much.....

John

I've been on a plum and cherry kick lately. Oh, right, they were free!! Well, I traded HJP some hickory and a ham hock, so, almost free.

I like the plum. Nice flavor, and smells divine.

Rich G.

The only wood I have used is equal amounts of oak and apple. Both free (thanks to the neighbors dead apple tree I keep whittling on). I have been so pleased with the combo, I'm kinda afraid to try something else! I do have a free supply of hickory, just been to hot to go get some.

Good Luck, you will love the ribs!

Ed

On my first cook on the WSM this past weekend I did 6 slabs of baby backs with the BRITU rub and a 3:1 mix of plum (freebie) and hickory (store bought) and I couldn't have been happier with the results...the flavor was perfect /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I like a 50/50 mix of oak and cherry. Unfortunately, we don't have cherry trees in Texas, that I'm aware of. So I have to buy the cherry. However, we got oak trees out the whazoo. I'm still using oak from a tree that died on my property last year. I also like to throw in some pecan and Jack Daniels oak barrel chips here and there as well. But for ribs, 50/50 oak and cherry.

I like to use cedar. It ticks my neighbor off, but he's going to be getting vinyl siding soon anyway. :-)

From the All About Smoke Woods topic:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]Woods To Avoid
The conventional wisdom is that cedar, cypress, elm, eucalyptus, liquid amber, pine, redwood, fir, spruce, and sycamore are not suitable for smoking. Some people say that sassafras is also inappropriate for smoking, yet it is available from some mail-order wood suppliers.

When in doubt about a particular smoke wood, play it safe--don't use it until you confirm with a reliable source that it's OK for use in barbecuing.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that would explain the seizures.

Actually, it was a joke. I'm a hickory guy myself, but very new to the hobby and haven't experimented much yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Griffin:
[qb]What sort of flavor does the pecan bring on???? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's said that pecan is a relative of hickory. Not as strong as hickory, in my experience.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back