Ick! bad meat.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up a couple racks of spare ribs from Kroger Friday. The first was ok when I rinsed and rubbed.

The second, you could tell bad meat from the first second you open the bag. Really Really off smell. It looks ok but the meat has turned. I'm not sure what they are injecting with but this meat should not look so normal with that smell.

Be careful.

Were they in the vacume packs? I have noticed they always seems to have a strong sour smell.

Some meat, especially pork, will smell off with cryo packaging after it has been opened.

I never rinse meat nor poultry. I just pull it out of the package and let it sit. The odor should dissipate in fairly short order, 15 or 20 min tops. If it doesn't it is possible the meat has soured. That should be returned to the store.

It was vacuum packed spare ribs. And no, I have never accepted any meat with a strong sour spell. Never will. It is possible to mask meat color after it spoils. I won't accept vacuum packaging with foul smelling fluid.

Denver Dave, I'm glad you have a source for affordable non-enhanced pork.

K Kruger - Don't care. Not going to accept it. Never will. The meat smelled after a rinse. The plastic smelled. Something foul. Something is wrong. I really don't care if the liquid it was injected with is foul or what. We talked to the manager, saved the label for reimbursement. The rest is disposed.

This ain't my first vacuum pack of ribs.

Kevin's right as usual. Never ended up with bad 'Q just because it had a funky smell when I first opened the pack. I will say it's a smell I could do without though, so thankfully it's not too often.

I didn't tell you to eat it, just that it is fairly common with meat packed in cryo when fresh, especially pork. If the smell doesn't dissipate return it. Usually it does.

I don't take the chance. If I open a cryo-pak and the first aroma is REALLY pungent/sour then chances are good that it's headed for the trash can. Out of everything that I've cooked, I've only had to throw away meat twice. Once for BB ribs and once for chicken. There was NO question.

All meat has smell so don't confuse normal meat smell with truly bad meat. Normal meat smell doesn't smell bad it's just an aroma. Bad meat will make you draw back and in extreme cases it will instantly get your stomach going.

Remember rule #1, don't ever make anybody sick.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Some meat, especially pork, will smell off with cryo packaging after it has been opened.

I never rinse meat nor poultry. I just pull it out of the package and let it sit. The odor should dissipate in fairly short order, 15 or 20 min tops. If it doesn't it is possible the meat has soured. That should be returned to the store. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm known to do the same. Came to that on my own though. My poultry and meat comes from local smaller markets where they actually have a custom butcher and have high turnover not typically from big chains, but heck big chains have high turnover too, right?

Anyway I've moved away from rinsing. Just didn't see the need if the product smelled fresh and was prepped the same day or day before.

I have had some cryovac where I opened and it had a smell. I figured trapped gasses, etc as long as it all dissipated within a few minutes.

Didn't rinse those either.

I typically figure as posted above that I would KNOW immediately if it was spoiled/soured. Once you smell that - you remember it
icon_smile.gif

Back