I will just leave this here

I'm not sure that you can. I think I read somewhere that just about every part of the Platinum II series is unique, but @Jeff MA is my authority on this series. You might check out some of his threads, starting with this one:

Thanks for the warning. Fortunately, the Gold B and C do seem to interchange with the earlier 1000 when it comes to the firebox and manifold, based on this post by Sam Bee https://tvwbb.com/threads/new-to-me-gold-b.79585/post-877490

I'm hoping the original firebox is OK but I don't mind turning this porcelain batwing beauty into a 13 bar if necessary. If I find a green lid for my Silver A it would be an interesting pair, David and Goliath on the patio.

Yes, it was, it was a great grill in a pinch. I used it often. Unfortunately, I had a new roof put on my house and forgot to move the grill from the side of my house during the construction and the workers dropped debris from the roof and chipped the lid. Soon after, I passed it along to a friend.
Let's find you another one!?

They are hard to find. I have a neighbor about a block away that has a blue Silver A sitting in the weeds out back. I asked him about it and he said he's planning on fixing it up. It's been there for years.
Blues, I feel are the hardest to acquire. I wanted a Blue, but I settled for a Green. But I was still happy. They are a great grill for a Bachler or a Couple. It is a shame your neighbor won't give it up.

Thanks for the warning. Fortunately, the Gold B and C do seem to interchange with the earlier 1000 when it comes to the firebox and manifold, based on this post by Sam Bee https://tvwbb.com/threads/new-to-me-gold-b.79585/post-877490

I'm hoping the original firebox is OK but I don't mind turning this porcelain batwing beauty into a 13 bar if necessary. If I find a green lid for my Silver A it would be an interesting pair, David and Goliath on the patio.
Ok, I stand corrected!

@Steve Hoch has had good results from pulling in a warped cookbox, the last I heard. Those Platinum Series IIs are so unique and only made for such a short period...I hope you can save it!

Ed,
I used to have a Silver A with a green lid. Now that I do not have it I see how hard it is to acquire one. I miss that one.

View attachment 98961

I had run across a Silver A - not long after I picked up my Spirit(I) and a SilverB that was in need of parts - that was in fantastic shape -- if I recall it had both left and right flip up tables - which I thought was odd and kinda goofy - it made it hard to actually get close to the grill.... I actually kept it around for a year or two because I didn't think that I would like the Spirit as well as I did and I didn't think that the Spirit would last long term. The thing that really stuck out in my mind about that grill was how heavy and over built it felt compared to the other 2 burners I had run across --- it felt as heavy as SilverB.... The other strange thing about that grill is that I could never get it to heat up to over 400 ---- I had swapped out three separate sets of burners and two regulators without any difference. It could have been a bad thermometer, but it seemed to be working properly --- I attributed the lack of high heat to the heft of the lid and box. It was also odd that when I picked it up it was pretty dirty --- but in a different way than usual - it had a full coverage of grease like it was used more for LnS cooking - much like my Spirit has now.

I'm kinda sorry that I let that one go..... I think that one would have been a lifer 2 burner that I would have enjoyed cooking on..... Curse you Spirit(I) for swaying me to need for a 'newer model'!!!!

Ok, I stand corrected!

@Steve Hoch has had good results from pulling in a warped cookbox, the last I heard. Those Platinum Series IIs are so unique and only made for such a short period...I hope you can save it!
It turns out the grates were propped up in the back and not in place. Once I set them on their ledge in the back the front edge of the firebox looks as straight as can be. The flavorizers are correct and just starting to rust, while the burners look to be original. I got lucky!

What surprised me most is that the owner is getting rid of this grill as well as his smoker, switching to one of those all in one Ninja tabletop electric grills that are heavily advertised on TV. He saw a pallet of them at a Kroger for $149, bought one and fell in love. Go figure.

They gave me a full tank of propane as a result.:)

Here is a monster that I snagged some of the 9mm or 3/8” SS rod grates from. It’s an Electrolux Icon grill. Just did some reading on it. Looks like they are absolute tanks of grills with insane price tags. But clearly someone far wealthier than I opted for something else!

Attachments

• IMG_7394.jpeg
    IMG_7394.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 3

Back