I want to invent a clamping jig this year for burners and bars resto

I hope they have some one working at HF that actually reads these kinds of recommendations and truly considers them.
I have not heard of anyone having any issues with the HF one. I have a rockwell and like it, but I think they are all made in the same factory with slightly different specs, so I would definitely check out the Franklin if I needed a new one.

UPDATE ON HARBOR FREIGHT VERSION

I contacted their customer support. Although Harbor Freight is adding a lot more replacement parts to their offerings, the Franklin Workstation is not currently on that list:(. The very polite customer service person told me that she would pass on this request to whomever to look into better supporting it.
Have you broken yours or heard about others breaking theirs?
Yeah, I kinda wondered about that myself...the only thing I have heard needing replacement are the jaws, which seem pricey.

I think it is crazy to make a nice machine like this with an obviously consumable part but with no provision (or a effectively so with a rip-off price) to be able to replace the consumable.

I think it is crazy to make a nice machine like this with an obviously consumable part but with no provision (or a effectively so with a rip-off price) to be able to replace the consumable.
So it's the jaws? I think it was Bruce who had an idea to use a piece of tire tread, and I'm sure there are others. There's even a STL file available to make your own if you have or know someone with a 3D printer.

Yah, I saw that web page with the 3D printer settings. I don't have access to one and even if I did, I am not sure the normal 3d printer compounds would work. I am probably going to pursue the tire tread at some point.

And I think I priced what it would cost in semi-flexible filament and it was close to what a set sells for new, so it would only make sense if the jaws are unobtanium.

LOL
t0sG1c6.jpg

I think that pretty much is the case across the board with HF stuff. Replacement parts are relatively nonexistent.

I guess you can't expect a lot from a place that emphasizes low prices, but when I did my research they do now have quite a few things that they support with at least some parts. They claim they are amping up this capability. Unfortunately there are no "Franklin" items that have parts support at this time. I tend to think this tool may not be a huge seller, either.

I would not expect parts support for the basic low cost items. But, I would think they would support their upper level brand items better.
HF is having some bad PR problems now with them stopping their "Free Item" policy and changing up their coupons as well.
I am not sure where this is all going to take HF in the future.

I think they are trying to broaden their appeal by offering more middle of the road and even some fairly high-quality items. I suspect that with that there costs are rising by offering so many different lines (Warrior, Bauer, Hercules) of the same product. That puts pressure on them to be less generous on warranty stuff. And in some fairness to HF, I think some people really push it with respect to what they claim they should get a new replacement for.

Yah, if you want tools that can take abuse and will last for years and years, go to HD and Lowes and buy Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Ryobi, etc....
If you want something that costs 25% of the name brands and will work fine for limited light use, then HF is a great option. I really am not real excited by their higher name brands. That isn't what I go to HF for. I think they should stick to what made them what they are. Budget tools. There are too many already in the Red, yellow, blue and orange tool category.

Maybe so, but I think some of their Bauer and Hercules stuff, when bought on sale, is still a great deal vs. the name brands and puts a way better tool in your hand. Same with their Doyle pliers that are amazingly close to Knipex vs. their "regular" Pittsburgh stuff that is definitely light duty. In fact, there is some evidence that some Doyle tools are essentially identical to Mac (a professional line of tools) and made by the same factory. They feel like quality tools to me and worth the price difference over the packages of cheaper stuff HF offers. Again, you have to play the game with coupons (which I agree HF is making trickier all the time). Finally, I do agree that HF needs to be careful not to abandon the low-price field that put them on the map. A cheap grinder, drill, etc. is probably all that a homeowner who uses them once or twice a year really needs.

Jon, I am not familiar with the Doyle line up. What types of tools do they carry?

Here are their Doyle pliers. I have a couple of the "water pump" ones and several of the regular styles of pliers. All are really, really nice in my admittedly inexperienced, CPA not mechanic, view:

These are their Doyle screwdrivers:

Actually, the set of screwdrivers I have enjoyed the most from HF is this Quinn set. I never had a screwdriver that worked so well on one of those small corroded valve screws compared to the smaller Quinn Philips:

Back