I think the Termometer is off...way off

Brian Dobz

I did my first rib smoke today.
Everything went perfect temp wise...well according to the thermometer on my 18.5".
I used the Minion method with 25 hot coals on top of half the ring full of unlit Kingsford Comps.
Vents 100%open and dropped to 25% once temp hit 200. Cooker settled to 225...perfect.
After three hours I went to flip em, my first view of them. I thought to myself they seemed done. Tore apart easy, cracked when I bent the rack.
But I told myself they couldnt be done after only three hours. These were fairly large baby backs. 8.67 lbs total for 3 racks, and they have only been at 225 the whole time.
Also my friend with the sides wasnt here yet.

I let them go another hour for 4 total.

I have a maverick but I didnt use it till near the end for fun.
I hung the grill temp probe a little down the top vent and it read 262 when my weber therm. still read 225.

My ribs ended coming out ok...I;d give them a B-. They tasted wonderful, but were slightly dry and over done.

1) 8 2/3 lb is a relatively small load for an 18.5 WSM.
2) My experience comparing Maverick vs. dome temp is that the dome may be the coldest spot in the cooker, particularly after adding meat.
3) 25% open sounds reasonable.
4) Practice makes perfect. I suspect next time you may aim for a lower temp or allow shorter time. (I'd vote for the lower smoker temp.)
5) I've never actually made ribs on my WSM. Yet.
icon_wink.gif
But it was the first thing I tried on my 18.5 kettle about 40 years ago and I still remember it as one of the best things I ever ate.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Brian,

It's a new smoker right? They run hot the first few times you use them. The dome thermometer is not very reliable. I calibrated mine when I first got it and it read 20 degrees cooler than actual temp. Try removing the thermometer (it attaches to the dome via a wing nut) and placing the end in a pot of boiling water to calibrate. Also, what I do with my grill thermometers is to stick the probe through a cork and lay it on the cooking grate so that the probe sticks up a few inches. That way I get what the cooking temp is at the grate. Don't worry, the lid won't damage the wire. The silicone coating is pretty durable.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bill Meredith:
Try removing the thermometer (it attaches to the dome via a wing nut) and placing the end in a pot of boiling water to calibrate.
Thanks, Bill. I knew there was one more thing I wanted to mention!

Originally posted by WalterWhite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Meredith:
Try removing the thermometer (it attaches to the dome via a wing nut) and placing the end in a pot of boiling water to calibrate.
Thanks, Bill. I knew there was one more thing I wanted to mention! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I got my ATC I was amazed at the different temps between the grate and lid. So I took the lid thermomter off and checked it in boiling water. It was very close.

I can't explain the difference but it's pretty substantial.

Thanks guys

I am going to go by my Maverick from now on.
It came with a little clip so it sits and inch or so off the cooking grate.

I was just a tad disappointed that the dome therm was so off and I ended up "cooking" my first batch of ribs.

Good think it was a practice run....my father in law flies in today. Will be doing a rack for him and dont want to feel the shame. haha

It is very common for the factory gauge to be low by that much. Now that you know its off compare to vent temp (the most reliable) and compensate. Grate temps can be tricky utill the meat gets almost done.

Originally posted by Brian Dobz:
After three hours I went to flip em, my first view of them. I thought to myself they seemed done. Tore apart easy, cracked when I bent the rack.
But......I let them go another hour...

icon_eek.gif

Regarding the wsm gauge, check it in boiling water for accuracy, or better yet, hang a therm (checked for accuracy) in the vent. I've had three WSM OE gauges already, and don't recommend bothering Weber with a replacement. They're cheap, and all probably end up reading low, some sooner than others.

Both of my WSM's are older so they don't have the dome thermometer but I have a Maverick 732 that I use clipped to the grate instead. I also sometimes use a oven thermo on the grate where I can see it through the top vent with a flashlight.

I personally think the temp at the grate where the food is being cooked is the best way to determine temps and is what I prefer to go by.

Wayne

I use the lid temp as a rough estimate and also know that it's running below the top grate temp anywhere between 20-40 degrees.

I did the boiling water test on the Weber lid therm and it registered around the 212 number, give or take.

Originally posted by Wayne Dimirsky:
Both of my WSM's are older so they don't have the dome thermometer but I have a Maverick 732 that I use clipped to the grate instead. I also sometimes use a oven thermo on the grate where I can see it through the top vent with a flashlight.

I personally think the temp at the grate where the food is being cooked is the best way to determine temps and is what I prefer to go by.

Wayne

I also like to use an oven therm right inside the door on the bottom grate to see what's coming up around the pan. Now put a couple of eight pound pork butts on the top grate and notice how that any therm placed in the small space on the grate between them will be nowhere close to the actual average temp that's coming up from under them.

Originally posted by Jack Bordeaux:
I use the lid temp as a rough estimate and also know that it's running below the top grate temp anywhere between 20-40 degrees.

I did the boiling water test on the Weber lid therm and it registered around the 212 number, give or take.

The queastion is, for how long will it be accurate. Thankfully, there's just a wing nut to make it easy to occasionally recheck.

Regardless though, a bunch of cold meat can really make that dome measurement kind of irrelavent, at least at the start of the cook. Heat rises, and a measurement taken in the stream of circulation (dome vent) will be closer to what's actually coming up and hitting the bottom of all the meat on the grate.

dave:

i have had my WSM for 3 years and i am more confused than ever bout what temp i am actually at.. last wek i smoked a tri tip.. i hung the maverick thru the vent like u said i was a good 30 degrees or more off from the dome therm that i checked in boiling water too be right, so what the heck should i go by?? i did a 14lb brisket on smoke day and went by the dome the whole cook, it was done in 11 hours, but my dome was round 225 all day, but the meat was not great and i think it was done too fast, maybe i should have put it on the rack over the water pan.. just plain confused anymore, and a little frustrated after smokeday.. Glenn in SC

Originally posted by glenn fleming:
dave:

i have had my WSM for 3 years and i am more confused than ever bout what temp i am actually at.. last wek i smoked a tri tip.. i hung the maverick thru the vent like u said i was a good 30 degrees or more off from the dome therm that i checked in boiling water too be right, so what the heck should i go by?? i did a 14lb brisket on smoke day and went by the dome the whole cook, it was done in 11 hours, but my dome was round 225 all day, but the meat was not great and i think it was done too fast, maybe i should have put it on the rack over the water pan.. just plain confused anymore, and a little frustrated after smokeday.. Glenn in SC

Glenn, your 30* difference in dome temps is not unusual at all...in the first hours of a cook when the meat is still relatively cool. By the end of a cook once the meat is hot, there won't be much difference between the dome gauge and a temp taken at the vent.

No need to be frustrated or confused though, and regarding your brisket cook, it might've just been a less than stellar piece of meat. That's why pros use injections and foil...as insurance against dry briskets...and I've smoked several briskets in my old UDS in less than 10 hours with no foiling, and got great results. I just don't prefer to cook that fast in my 18.5" wsm though.

Back to measuring temp and how the wsm cooks, though...The wsm is not nearly a convection oven, and heat rises and wafts around the meat...the meat being heated by the hot air, and the air being cooled by the meat. SO...just 'cause the wsm is a fairly efficient, vertical, indirect enclosed smoking environment, you know that air does not get hotter all of a sudden after it rises above a grate full of cool meat....UNLESS, it mixes with hotter air, like the heat stream coming up around the outside of the grate. That's why the dome vent temp measurement is better.

Regarding the issue of unevenness and heat circulation though, I'm not saying that rotating or flipping meat is needed...at least not cooking low-n-slow. I leave the fat down toward the fire, and if your pork butts have a thicker side, that's the side that goes to the outside of the cooker where it's hottest if cooking two on a grate. (It's quite often the side with the bone and I turn that side of the smallest bottom grate pork butt towards the door for easier checking.) If only cooking one thing, use the top grate since you'll get more even temp across the grate, but I'd still protect the end of a brisket flat with some fat or foil, especially if cooking in a 18.5" wsm.

Case in point though, regarding your SmokeDay brisket and all this: I was rather perplexed myself a couple of overnight cooks back. On that night, I smoked two big pork butts on the bottom grate (9 lbs+ each), and a decent sized 14lb or so brisket on the top grate. Well, I wanted it done sooner rather than later, but I got all of it done in just 12 hours....water in the pan. I don't remember what I set my Maverick at, and on that cook I had a little space beside the brisket so I put the probe beside it, instead of my usual hanging in the vent. I remember that I wasn't happy with how slow it was in heating, and I had all of the vents wide open.... but I remember that the top vent measurement was somewhere around 240* when I went to bed, and I think it was around 260 or so when I got up. I was cooking a little faster to be done sometime mid-morning, not noon-ish as usual, and although I can't be too sure of just how much faster I cooked than normally, I was happy with how things turned out. From now on though, I'll just go by the vent, and maybe put a (checked) oven therm just inside the door to see how hot the highest grate temp might be.

Well, things to consider on why it went so fast... an overnight cook (no sun on dome), breezy cool temps, and for a windbreak: two drum halves around the cooker which reached not much higher than the bottom of the dome. Next time I'll prop up the windbreak(s) on blocks for better draft mainly, but also to protect the dome from the cool breeze. My point though is that I wasn't really "getting" how hot the heat was coming up under the meat, evidently. I guess the two big butts on the bottom grates were really absorbing a lot of heat since they took up so much of the grate, but a brisket cooked at 250* should take about 1hr/lb. to get tender, and I wouldn't have thought I was cooking over 250*, but maybe I was.
icon_confused.gif

Hope most of that made sense. I didn't get my Sunday nap.
icon_biggrin.gif

dave:

thanx much for all your input. i guess BBQ is not an exact science and there are a lotta things going on, and no 2 cooks are the same. cant wiat too give it another try!! thanx

glenn in SC

Originally posted by glenn fleming:
dave:

i guess BBQ is not an exact science and there are a lotta things going on, and no 2 cooks are the same.

glenn in SC

Heard that. Even if we did cook the same exact thing/amounts everytime, we're not using an oven in the house. That's my wife's turf.
icon_wink.gif

I bought a Pitmaster IQ for my 22.5 WSM and on my first Rib cook the IQ set at 275 was showing 225 on the Weber therm. Pitmaster IQ claims their unit is accurate. Today I have 2 pork butts on and with the IQ set at 275. The Weber is at 250. I'm going with the IQ. Nice unit. Easy to install and only $150 w/s&h...

I know its been aleady mentioned in this thread but here's my expeience as well.

I'm new to smoking and today was my second smoke. It was brisket. Came out pretty good but I thought it could have been more tender.

Anyway, the 22.5" held steady at 250 on the dome thermometer and my Maverick was showing 285 at the grate. Quite a descepancy.

I think that's why the brisket was done a little sooner than expected. Next time I go by the Maverick and not the dome until I get a better grip on the WSM's peformance.

So far I love it.

Steve

Back