I think I've had it with FoodSaver!! *****

Originally posted by r benash:
I hear you Jeff - went through the same type of thinking. But remember the units mentioned above cannot be compared with a $75 unit. Different quality and feature level overall.

I've heard of Food Saver - that in itself doesn't matter much when they break, since you can't get them fixed.

Many folks say I can by several $75 units over 5 years for the same price, so what's the difference.

Quality, performance, reliability and serviceability, and flexibility and expected longevity.

One of the reasons I spent $200 on a WSM instead of $35 for a Brinkman.

I don't want to be frustrated by something every time I use it.

I have a Kitchen Aide mixer that has lasted well over 5 years.

To each his own - many ways to skin the cat.
Ray,

I'd be in agreement if we were comparing mechanical devices that were created by local craftsmen or machinists versus being mass produced.

But electronics are almost exclusively spec'd out and purchased from middlemen with suppliers in China. I think we may be looking at the same components assembled in different boxes.

Keep us informed on how your unit holds up. If it is still running in 5 years, I 'll give it consideration as I go to replace my 3rd FS unit.

Jim

I was having the same problem with the pump crapping out on the V2480 and called Jardine CS and they claimed the seals were worn out, a common problem the guy said (I never store it in the locked position and use the styrofoam spacer to keep them from compressing, so I thought it BS) and had me remove the seals and turn them over, it worked fine after that and they sent me a pair of new seals at no charge.
I had been using Black and Decker bags for a long time then was unable to find them locally and started using some cheap bulk Wal-Mart bags and thats when the problem stated, since then its been FS bags exclusively.

My FoodSaver model V2480 is on it's last leg. Very similiar issues. I have to really pace the machine to get through a job. I Purchased it in 06, and has not been overly used or abused. Dissappointing!
icon_frown.gif

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

My wife picked up a "el cheapo" foodsaver at Wal-Mart. It's made by Reynold's. I was sceptical since I already have a Foodsaver, but to my suprise it does a very good job. The bags are resealable and cheaper.

Originally posted by Stu M.:
My wife picked up a "el cheapo" foodsaver at Wal-Mart. It's made by Reynold's. I was sceptical since I already have a Foodsaver, but to my suprise it does a very good job. The bags are resealable and cheaper.

Love my Reynold's Vac-n-Seal, I just wish I could find bigger bags. Do you know if they come in different sizes?

Brandon

All of the lower end/department store sealers work great for awhile. When they fail - you should simply not expect to be able to repair them. Just go buy another. There are no replacement parts or repairs available. There's just no margin for profit to repair them.

Not trying to place a judgment at all. That's just the nature of the beast. I researched all this thoroughly.

At a typical $99 you can get good service at a wide range of term depending on frequency of use. You may end up with 3 over that time or more, but why should you really care if they continue to be available? Just go get another if the one you has breaks.

Now - if you want to go to the dark side and come to the conclusion that rather than being frustrated by the mass market commodity style sealers you will need to spend more $$ up front for something that is repairable and will actually get down to the vac levels reaching 28 lbs of vacuum or more and actually hold the vacuum. The heavier duty units (semi commercial and up) do this reliably and without the need to hold any pressure on the bar. They typically have two pumps instead of one and have replaceable parts. They have faster cycle times as well.

They often have wider bag capacity as well (up to about 16"). It's kind of like the difference between a counter top KA mixer and and a light duty unit we talk about in other threads. I really looked at the opportunity to buy several lighter duty units over a 5 year period versus spending the money up front. We'll see in 5 years if that was really a good choice.

I can say this though. When I reach for the one I have which is not a pretty one that you would typically leave on a counter top - it works, period. Big bags 16" down to 6" wide. Custom bags in all widths/lengths. It just works. Don't have to fiddle, try several times, waste a few bags first, etc. Full size ham right into the bag (16" roll material) and done. Top tier of my daughters wedding cake - same thing. Seals jars, and all of the ordinary uses. Get it out seal up everything never having to wait for recycle time and put it away. Very efficient and reliable.

I think it's unfair to expect 5 years out of the lighter duty units let alone expecting to get repairs done. Just figure you'll buy several over a given period. If you are not using it frequently, don't even bother looking at the more expensive units.

I also have not heard any complaints or problems from the heavy duty foodsaver/tila unit I bought for my parents last December (see thread above). It's the FS dual pump unit. But again - that model was $300.

Too early to tell. We'll see what happens over the next 3-5 years.
icon_wink.gif

Ray, you seem to be very pleased with your unit. Did you mention what kind you have? That 16" bag size sounds useful --- there ahve been times when I could have used an extra inch or two.

Does it do wine bottles, narrow and wide mason jars? By any chance is it compatible with the FoodSaver containers that I have?

Rita

Way back up thread I threw in a couple URL's during the initial post.

Yes - I have found that extra width useful. Thing that's nice is it seals as easily at that width as well with a very nice/wide seal band.

If you do a lot of sealing and/or use a sealer regularly I found this thing well worth the $$.

It is a semi-commercial unit, so it is bulkier and of course wider.

The heavy duty FS/Tilia (got the one for my parents from Cablea's) doesn't have that width but it has dual pumps and shorter cycle times than the department store models.

Food Saver Turbo

Got my parents a white one.

The 2840 is $105 at Amazon right now. I don't know what the difference is with the 2480 in Costco. Amazon actually had it for $89 last Sunday but I didn't jump on it. Kinda wish I did. If you get it from Amazon, you save on taxes AND help TVWB by using the link on top of the page.

Here's another V2480 user with a unit that isn't doing well. Purchased it in 2006. I just threw it in the trash can and purchased the heavy duty Food Saver from Cabelas. I have hopes that this one will work better and longer. If not, it'll be the last FS I buy.

Richard

Ray,

I'd be in agreement if we were comparing mechanical devices that were created by local craftsmen or machinists versus being mass produced.

But electronics are almost exclusively spec'd out and purchased from middlemen with suppliers in China. I think we may be looking at the same components assembled in different boxes.

Keep us informed on how your unit holds up. If it is still running in 5 years, I 'll give it consideration as I go to replace my 3rd FS unit.

Jim

Well it's over 8 years later - The Pro2300 is still working as well as the day I bought it, its still available and all replacement parts are still available. It's seen heavy use too. I use it several times a day, and at least 5-10 times in a given week. I package for family and groups on occasion as well and it's got a great cycle time, never had to wait due to overheating of any kind.
I've done heavier jobs with it too like sealing up pounds of fish filets and steaks during annual trips to Cape Cod, catches for 4 people. It never misses a beat.

Wait - I replaced the thermal tape over the sealing element once. I think that cost me about 50 cents, as I bought a roll.

These units are still made and are a little more expensive now.

I also bought a VacMaster 112 a couple years ago - It also get persistent, almost daily use. I sous vide a lot. It's great for wet stuff and liquids and the bags cost pennies. It's almost half paid for just in cost of bags alone. Most days I end up using both for one reason or another.

So very happy with both semi commercial units. If you have the budget these two models/styles will be well worth it. Neither are kitchen counter friendly per se. I keep the Pro2300 on a rolling shelf cabinet and just lift it out when in use. The chamber is in the basement, sits nicely on a "dorm fridge" I have down there with some shelving for bags to the side. Very convenient.

Best place for $$ on the VacMaster 112 I was able to find was Webstaurant Store.

So these are semi-commercial units, much heavier duty than FS. The Pro2300 is the model with the fan and cord storage. The VacMaster 112 is also fan cooled.

My next vacuumer will probably a Weston. I've been hearing good things about them and Cook's Illustrated lists a Weston model as a winner in their equipment tests. Just be sure it comes with a jar attachment. Westons are a bit pricier than FoodSavers because they have stronger motors but I think it would be worth the price difference.

My next vacuumer will probably a Weston. I've been hearing good things about them and Cook's Illustrated lists a Weston model as a winner in their equipment tests. Just be sure it comes with a jar attachment. Westons are a bit pricier than FoodSavers because they have stronger motors but I think it would be worth the price difference.

Hi Rita, yeah the one I own is the Weston Pro 2300. A truly solid performer for over 8 years.

The heavy duty FS unit I bought for my parents and referred to up thread ($300) - is still working fine. Although they don't put the use to it that I put to my Weston. They are very happy with it. It was the heavier duty, dual piston unit. Better overall build and specs than the cheaper models from FS. Forget what model the was though.

Just an upadate:

The Pro 2300 by Weston - is now 11 years old I just had the ONLY failure today since ownership. And it was the power cord. Solid unit, can still get all the parts from Weston.

The Ary VacMaster 112 chamber sealerd did give me an issue now after 6 years. It started to fail to pull vacuum without pushing down on the lid. It was a crack in the rim surrounding the cavity/tray. Had to replace it for $160.

Have to say I am still pleased with both units and would highly recommend them over foodsaver. These are though semi-commercial and a bit spendy. But haven't had to replace them. The 2300 gets use every week. The Vacmaster 112 is a work horse and gets used almost daily. I do a LOT of sous vide (yep even for left overs).

Spend the money up front and you will have utility for years without issues has been my experience.

Last edited:
Another update to provide maybe helpful information.

The Pro 2300 by Weston is now about 13.5 years old. Still working fine. I had a power cord failure, easy fix. Recently the vacuum limit switch or the seals need replacement. Only because the auto stop function has started failing. I've ordered gaskets and a limit switch. I'll report back on that.

The unit still works fine otherwise just have to do a manual seal. Very pleased with the product after many years of use. I purchased the Pro2300 in 2008. Not bad. I've taken this on fishing trips and packed/sealed pounds of fish. It is a weekly user anywhere from 1-3 days a week as the chamber sealer took over daily duty. Parts still available from Weston but starting to get scarce. Not a bad run.

The ARY VP112 has served me well. After 6 years I had to replace the tray assembly for $152. That was April 2019. The plastic rim cracked and allowed vacuum to leak out while sealing. All worked well after that for another 3 years. Currently I have the same issue with the tray, the black plastic rim is cracked on this one now as well. The vp112 and vp112s are now discontinued. Parts are generally unavailable. A nice long run. But with the cracked rim I think it's likely this unit goes in the recycle if I can't get another tray. I'll be searching for a replacement chamber sealer.

There are 3 models/manufacturers I'm looking at for prosumer chamber sealer. ARY, Weston, Avid Armor. Right now Avid Armor has the lead in terms of price point.I do like a dual pump so that might lead me to one of the others. ARY support has told me they have no plans to replace the VP112/VP112s level product into their line up.

Last edited:
The Pro 2300 by Weston is now about 13.5 years old.
I don't have as many years, but our Ary Vacmaster Pro260 is still working. I did have to open it up and clean one of the vacuum solenoids/motors (yes, I was stupid,) but it really was not difficult as long as you have a little mechanical knowledge. I'd like one like your Pro 2300, I just don't have a good place to store it.

Back