I think I got a stubborn butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris K

TVWBB Super Fan
First it stalled at 161, then at 164, then at 171 now at 177 for 45 minutes. I will get this pig shoulder to submit to the WSM, oh yes I will. She has been humming along for almost 13.5 hours without touching the coals and is currently sitting at 226. The WSM will beat this butt!

That's weird...must be the ones I buy....I have never cooked a butt over 12 hours total. Mine be done.....and resting on cooler. Guess BUTTS will be BUTTS......each is it's own BUTT.

I think it is because it has spent most of its time at 225. I think next time i will shoot for something like 240 or so. Butts will be butts. This was about 9 pounder bone in.

My 2 butts are going on 17.5 hours and temp only around 182 along with a 16# chuck roll at 172 (foiled at 163). I started preheating the oven at 275 becauce the charcoal is almost out and I only have less than 2 hours before I need to bring some to a party. I hope the plateau is over soon and the temp will start to move again.

Looks like alot of us had the same idea last night. It was a beautiful night here, 45 degrees, no wind, and a full moon. It is cool to go out in the middle of the night and see the WSM smoking away in moonlight. Especially all the steam from being so cold here. I just kicked open one of the vents to 100% and one to 30% the third is still closed. 245 degrees and but is rising. Ladies and gentleman this pig is cooked. 30 minutes to I start pullin. Woo Hoo. What do you guys use as a sauce? I am using 1C vinegar 1C cider vinegar 2T sugar 1t red cyanne 1t salt 1t black pepper and 1t habenaro hot sauce. simmer 10-15 min and stirr into pulled pork....Mouth watering cant wait!

94 deg here in Tampa, sunny, beer is flowing.....woman in bikini's (ok so it's just the wife LOL), I mixed Howton Farms HOT BBQ Sauce into some of it and left the other plain. Wife likes to dip hers into it vice already on the meat. Your sauce sounds good...Gonna have to try it next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris K:
I think it is because it has spent most of its time at 225. I think next time i will shoot for something like 240 or so. Butts will be butts. This was about 9 pounder bone in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did 2 butts yesterday totaling 16.63 lbs at 225. They took 20 hrs to finnish. Doing them at 240 -250 will help them finnish sooner. If you are pressed for time you could also foil at 160.
For sauce i use Head Country Original or Hot. Bryan

Bryan,

I have yet to find a sauce I like any better than Head Country hot. I'm sure there are some AS GOOD, but none better for my taste.

Their dry rub is hard to beat as well.

JMO, Jim.

Hey Chris, sorry you are having trouble with that butt....could be worse...it could be poka dotted!
icon_smile.gif

Things are all good the butt is 188 and the cooker is 250. I am slowing it down now because we dont eat for 2 more hours. BBq is going to turn me into an alcoholic. Beer beef sticks and BBQ.....what could be better. Oh yea same load of coals. Polka dotted but, it would be some sort of piggy problem for sure. I snuck a chunk of bark and it is simply sinfully good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Warren:
Bryan,

I have yet to find a sauce I like any better than Head Country hot. I'm sure there are some AS GOOD, but none better for my taste.

Their dry rub is hard to beat as well.

JMO, Jim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, I'm a devoted fan of both. I used the Head Country rub on the butts yesterday. I'm on my second case of the sauce this year.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

MMM....Ended up with alllott of leftovers from the butts I cooked today.....of course I pulled all thick bard pieces from the end of the butt and saved it for myself.....I LOVE to just eat them by themselves or dunk them in a bit of sauce .... no need for buns or rolls....what =ya got GOOD bark. My butts ended up taking a total of 12 1/2 hours to get to 195 when I pulled them. I tend to pull them sooner cuz I don't likee them to dry out. Then I foil them with some of the MR BROWN Sop in with them, turn them over so the sauce spreads around inside and them let them rest for two hours. Came back two hours later and they were still holding at 154 deg. NOT bad if I say so myself. They were DEEEE diiddly icous.
icon_razz.gif

Wow! That was simply the best. Pork pretty much pulled itself and there was no fat at all to be cleaned up, it was 100% fat free (15 1/2 hours in a cooker will do that). Lots of left overs will be perfect for lunch the whole week.

Well thats were we differ Chris. I actually like just a small bit of fat. I like it to render down all the connective tissue but I like a little bit of fat on top..............gives it flavor..........I don't eat it....but as long as there is just a little left. I know the meat is still pretty juicy. If there is none left then I tend to end up with a dry, but still tender piece of meat. PORK fat RULES

Cool, Chris.
Glad it worked out. I'm on the road this week so no Q--living vicariously through you guys.

Btw, really like your quote-sent it to all my email contacts (several of whom are vegan!).

Hey, neat! Well done. I also like your platform for the wsm.

Is that a whalen outdoor fireplace thingy (chimnea)in the foreground in a couple of those shots?

Thats my little Wal Mart fire pit. I use it to kill time at night drinking by. I have to find a use for the lighter fluid I have laying around since I havnt used it for food cooking in over a year. I had thought about turing my fire pit into a gigantic water smoker, I think it is 36".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back