I think I dun good

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
For the last more than a month, my mouth has been watering every day as I hit the frontpage of this site and see Chris's standing rib roast. UNTIL NOW!

Doing a prime grade standing rib roast hasn't been on my to-do list. A few factors controlling that has been, well, I don't sweat dollar bills from my pours, my wife and I have recently started a new family with the addition of my son Grant who is now just over 3 months old, and quite franky, I'm scared of cooking such and expensive cut of meat.

Starting a week or two before Christmas, I've noticed my local Wegmans (popular large sized grocer in upstate NY, a few stores in Pensy too I think) started carrying smallish USDA Prime standing rib roasts. There were always 4-6 packages in the meat cooler. I thought, mmmm, maybe if nobody buys all these, they will get marked down.

Low and behold, my wish was granted today when I stopped in after work innocently picking up some pasta for dinner.

I have no idea what these mean, but the label says, "FYFGA Angus Beef Rib 5", Dry-Aged, USDA Prime. Originially priced $76.77 for this 3.18lb package. Today's price, $38.13. I bought it.

Prime Rib 1
Prime Rib 2

Did I do good? There were 2 more of these, should I go pick them up tonight? LOL.

Todd

$12 a pound at half-price... a mite too rich for my tastes (unless I had a really special dinner planned). But you probably have the makings for one incredible meal! Let us know how it turns out, when you cook it.

$38.13 for a 3 lb PRIME dry aged rib roast? I think you scored man! You earned a gold star in my book! On top of that, you have until 2/18/08 to figure out what to cook with it! Enjoy the meal whenever you have it.

Does anybody know what the FYFGA means? And Rib 5? I think that's position, but it really does not mean anything to me.

So far, we have

1 thinks not so good deal
1 thinks good deal

Honestly, I have no idea what a 3 lb dry aged, angus USDA Prime grade standing rib roast goes for say in a big box store or a great/cheap local meat market. It was a split decision moment, figured I couldn't go too wrong with it being marked 1/2 off.

Thanks,
Todd

When you save $38, you feel good about that, anyway.
icon_wink.gif

I think at $38 for aged prime grade angus of that weight you did very well. I think the original price was way over and that's why they had to move it.

Don't sweat it, this is one of the easiest to cook.

Just watch meat temps and don't over cook. If you go past medium rare you are wasting your money in my view, and a Choice standing rib would serve probably as well.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1 thinks not so good deal
1 thinks good deal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd, I don't think the other Larry was saying it was a "not so good deal." I think he was saying he wouldn't pay that much unless it was for a special dinner, which I think many would agree with. Even myself, and I don't skimp (sp?) when spending on two things quality meat and wine/liquor.

My opinion, I've got to say it's a good deal. You reference big boxes; generally speaking what I've seen at the big boxes is Choice not Prime grade. Maybe during the holidays you'll see some Prime. Second, I don't think I've ever seen dry aged at a big box.

I'm interested in others thoughts on something; how much wood would you use when smoking this great piece of meat? This cut is going to have so much great flavor, I'd be tempted not to add any at all or at the most a single chunk of a mild wood like cherry. What do others think.

Lastly Todd, are you a wine drinker? If so, do you have a special bottle selected to serve with this?

I think this is slowly becoming a "community cook" LOL

Todd, I don't know if that's a good deal or not, as prices on the west coast are generally so much different than the east coast, bottom line is; if you are happy, that is all that matters. Do your self a favor though, pull that beautiful cut of meat from your smoker at 135*, you may even want to pull it at 130* and tent it foil for 30 minutes before slicing.
Good luck...

Originally posted by r benash:
I think at $38 for aged prime grade angus of that weight you did very well. I think the original price was way over and that's why they had to move it.

Don't sweat it, this is one of the easiest to cook.

Just watch meat temps and don't over cook. If you go past medium rare you are wasting your money in my view, and a Choice standing rib would serve probably as well.QUOTE]

Todd, my thoughts are that's a pretty good price for prime. As the others have said, cooking a rib roast is very easy; just watch your temps. I'd hold off purchasing another prime until you've compared it to a choice cut. These cuts have a lot of marbling and even a select can be good. Call around to some local restaurants and ask what they charge for a prime rib dinner - you'll be happy you picked it up. Enjoy.

Todd, after trying it you would probably pay the original price. Yes, it's an expensive cut but it's also a special day for you and your family (congrats on the newborn).

As everyone has mentioned above, go low on the smoke and do not overcook. I personally would use 2 chunks of a mild fruit wood and cook it low and slow.

Erik

Thanks all for your responses. And I don't mind this being a "community" cook at all, as LarryR stated, LOL.

So far, this is what I think I can summarize:

1. make a special meal out of it...done....and good idea. I tried to talk my wife into it for V-day. No go. We kinda have a tradition already there which she doesn't want to break...and rightly so. I'm not sure if you would call it "special" but we try to pull out the "good" china once a month on the 10th, as that's our anniversery day. Get some use out of the expensive china once a month at least. So that's probably what we will do, so Thursday is probably the day.

2. Don't go past 130 to 135 internal temp which is med. rare. For the community, I'm willing to give this a shot. Personally, I like med to med well, even well done delmonico's or rib eye steaks I like (I know, boooooo, hissssss, booooooo, but I actually like the burnt taste). My wife likes med. We are both willing to try med rare, but I have to say, I'm scared...I've never liked bloody meat. Maybe this will be a turning point for me.

Some other questions:

1. to smoke or not to smoke? I was going to use Oak in moderation. I have cherry, apple, maple, and birch on hand along with hickory, which I won't use. I'd also like to hear what you all think on which one and how much if any.

2. how many portions will this 3 pounder feed? 2-4 at most? It's only going to be the 2 of us this time around, if we have left overs, how should I handle that? I do have a food saver.

3. seasonings? Should I try something out of the herb crusted, montreal, dry aged, or salt & pepper recipes in the cooking section?

4. cooker temp? 325-350? 225-250? About how long should I expect it to take?

5. How do I slice it? I can't tell in the cryo, it feels like it is bone in, but it could just be hard fat that I'm feeling. If no bone, just slice it 3/4 - 1 inch thickness? If bone, just slice between the bones?

thanks a lot,
Todd

I get my rib roasts cheap. They cut them when i get my side of beef. I am very happy since I got the roasts and got the tenderloin.

Both are excellent smoked. Generally I use 1 chunk of oak and 2 chunks of fruit wood. Delicious!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Todd, I don't think the other Larry was saying it was a "not so good deal." I think he was saying he wouldn't pay that much unless it was for a special dinner, which I think many would agree with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. I didn't mean it wasn't a good deal, just that I don't often buy that nice a cut of beef.

In regards to your item 2:

You can't undo it if you over cook
icon_smile.gif
Nothing to be afraid of. The idea with not going past medium rare is that this cut is so good because of the marbleing. That's what creates the unique flavor. Well done, and you've removed that and a lower grade standing rib like choice wouldn't be that much different in my view. At medium rare if you absolutely can't stand it you can bring your piece up to a higher level of done very easily.

Cook it as you feel it should be cooked. You have had enough help here so it is now up to you. Bet it will be a hit.........

Tomorrow night is going to be the day. I think I'm going to follow the Standing Rib Roast - Montreal Steak Rub guidelines.

My roast is half as big, so I'm planning for:

1. running the wsm 325-350, figure roughly 20 minutes per pound, so about 1 hour.

2. If I don't use the montreal rub, I'll probably just use the salt and pepper rub described in that standing rib roast recipe.

3. Chris used 3 med sized chunks of oak. I will shoot for using 1/2 that much because of the 3 lb size of this roast. I'll probably use a cherry/apple mix.

4. I like this article because Chris said,

"I chose 134°F as the temp at which I would remove this roast from the cooker. After resting, the final temp would rise to about 140°F. This is a bit more done than some people prefer for a rib roast."

I'm one of those people that prefer more done meat. And I liked the look of the roast in the pics. I can eat that.

That's the plan for the roast. Not sure about sides yet.

Does a smaller roast rise in internal temp more or less during resting than a bigger one? I would guess less.

Todd

Back