I recently came across a grill that the knobs were stuck on so bad I thought I would break a valve trying to remove them

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
So what gives? Whats the trick to removing stuck knobs? Heat? Destroy them with vice grips? Drill a tiny hole in the top spray WD40 down hole? Or .......manually hold manifold down while wiggling and pull up on the knobs? Can I break a valve going ape sh trying to remove a knob?

Protect the surface under the knob, use a screwdriver to gently pry up while pulling up and wiggling the knob back and forth. They can be really hard to get off, especially if they've never ever been removed.

Once off, I've sprayed mine with silicone spray inside the sleeve, maybe it's my imagination but they seem to come off slightly better next time, emphasis on slightly.

So what gives? Whats the trick to removing stuck knobs? Heat? Destroy them with vice grips? Drill a tiny hole in the top spray WD40 down hole? Or .......manually hold manifold down while wiggling and pull up on the knobs? Can I break a valve going ape sh trying to remove a knob?
what model grill

The 2 grills I had a bit of a problem with getting the knobs off I used lithium grease in the sleave before putting them back on. Have pulled them off to clean and they come off easily. I also use that grease when I put new casters on as well as the tables inserting into the frame on the Silver C.

A couple months ago I pondered this very possibility on a new Summit. I suppose the vents, or slots on the valve knob faceplate serve some purpose but some rib mopping sauce got away from me and travelled into that face plate and I was left with two options: 1) let it be 2) clean it. I'm still digging the Summit (it's keeping me from my smokers) and treating it like my first car, so after some reassurance from the process outlined in the owner's manual I continued with some man power without tools and finally freed the knobs.

This does nothing to answer your question on the Silver but, still, I shared it.

Good luck!

I would follow Chris' advice with protecting the surface but use two screwdrivers, one on each side. You want to try to have even pressure straight upwards. Hope this helps.

Rob

On that particular grill I flipped it already.....I literally could not remove those knobs. They were seized on there! If I were to try again I would try after the grill was good and hot.....but I hope I dont come across another one like that.

I have had several where the knobs were stuck. I reached under the panel and held the manifold down while I pulled the knobs off. SOme were very hard to the point I didn't think I was going to get them off, but eventually I did. I think the heat and cool cycles they go through has something to do with it.

Back