I need some advice on beef ribs.

I got 6 or so pounds of beef ribs and no ideas. plus I am not sure if they cook the same as pork ribs. Any advice would be appreciated greatly. thanx all.
leif

Also, pepper stout beef is in the smoker now. Thank you Larry Wolfe.

My attempt would be to cook using a pork rib technique, but to use a salt and pepper-based rub rather than a sweet pork rub.

Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder

beef ribs, or "dinosuar bones" are bigger than spares/BBs. I like to smoke at 225-250 for ~6 hours....though check for doneness using the pork methods.

I envy you....good meaty beef ribs are tough to find and I like them as much if not more than pork
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leif gabrielsen:
I got 6 or so pounds of beef ribs and no ideas. plus I am not sure if they cook the same as pork ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Beef ribs cook faster than pork ribs do. Larry did a post on them awhile back. Let me find it for you. I just use a brisket rub and smoke em at ~225º till done. They usually take right around 5 hrs.
Link to Larry's beef Reebs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Larry did a post on them awhile back. Let me find it for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
While you are looking, find me some beef ribs please. Does the BJ's near you ever have them? BTW, how the heck have you been? Working hard? I'm a pencil pusher and boy are my hands tired.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Larry did a post on them awhile back. Let me find it for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
While you are looking, find me some beef ribs please. Does the BJ's near you ever have them? BTW, how the heck have you been? Working hard? I'm a pencil pusher and boy are my hands tired.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave, never saw em at BJ's. Once in awhile I'll find some at Giant that has some meat left on the bones but most times they are not worth buying. Local Grocery store here Stauffer's has fantastic beef ribs on a regular basis, plenty of meat left on. They are cut just like spares, which unusal for beef ribs as the more meat they get out from between the bones, the more they get for the Ribeyes.
Work is just crazy Man! Pretty much 7 days a week for me. They have shut down 3 plants in MD since April 08 and moved most of the work to us. Great for us but bad for the people that lost their jobs. It's hard to be happy when you hear about the people that are out of work now. Sucks
icon_frown.gif
Looks like we will be secure for a few years, but the printing industry is a dying business so... who knows? Thanks for asking Bud.
icon_smile.gif

Beef Ribs are my favorite thing to fix.

I make back ribs in 4 bone mini slabs. I coat them with rub, use hickory and let them ride at 225-250. They usually take 4-5 hours.

I use a very simple rub made of a base of garlic salt, I then add paprika. I guess it is a ratio of 4 parts garlic salt to 1 part paprika. I then add a teaspoon or two of cayanne pepper.

The local Safe--- has them frozen in a cooler along side of the meat selection. They are 7-bone ribs with two racks in a cyrovac bag. I thaw them and pull the membrane like pork ribs and season them with BRITU and some Montreal Steak Seasoning and them wrap them in plastic wrap overnite. I cook them at about 250 for 5- 6 hours using some local oak for smoke wood. The fat renders off nicely and leaves them almoat falling off the bone. I do not foil, but they still come out juicy and tender, One rack gets sauced about 1/2 hour before taking off the weber. Both racks are usually finished when my kids come over to eat, and when I ask them what they would like me to barbeque, beef ribs are usually the first request....

They are like cooking pork ribs more or less, just bigger. I love them! I found a butcher here in Minneapolis that sells them cheap -- whole slabs in cryovac. Look at them closely though because some slabs have more meat on them than others. Here is what I do differently from pork ribs:

- Simpler rub with no sugar. Just salt and pepper even is good. Sweet doesn't go well with beef ribs. Save that for your sauce.
- Getting the membrane off is tougher. I cheat and ask the butcher to do it.
- Since they are bigger they take longer to cook. A whole slab can take 6-8 hours depending on size.
- My butcher always asks me if I want them split. I tell him no. I like to eat Fred Flintstone dinosaur ribs. It is fun to watch a 3 year old try to eat them. And save the bones for your dog (or your neighbor's dog).
- It can be harder to fit them into your 18.5" WSM. You can't really roll them like pork ribs. Sometimes it can be hard to get the lid on if you are cooking them in the upper section.

Good luck and enjoy!

I love beef short ribs but my wife b*tches that they are to fatty. I haven't been able to find decent short ribs in a while but I keep looking. I like to use a Korean BBQ sauce, though my Sis-in-law says its not real Korean BBQ (she's Korean, so who am I to argue)
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Dace:
I love beef short ribs but my wife b*tches that they are to fatty. I haven't been able to find decent short ribs in a while but I keep looking. I like to use a Korean BBQ sauce, though my Sis-in-law says its not real Korean BBQ (she's Korean, so who am I to argue)
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, you are talking about a different cut. Your short ribs are next to the chuck roast and the original poster is talking about Beef Back ribs which are cut from the prime rib or ribeye area.

Try them, I think you will like them. The trick is to find some that aren't all trimed out so that they resemble fingers.

Back