I need help calibrating my grill thermometer

my thermometer on my Weber grill is not accurate. I took it off the grill and cleaned it. Then I put it in boiling water and it’s only showing 175-176F. My digital thermometer is coming in at 211.2F which is acceptable. How do I adjust the temp on my Weber thermometer. There is no screw or nut to turn on the back. Is there another way or do I have to buy a new one to get accurate results?

Attachments

• 3D830290-5E76-417C-B9F4-1F616077546B.jpeg
    3D830290-5E76-417C-B9F4-1F616077546B.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 679B62C1-3F5C-4478-9E1C-288A5301A075.jpeg
    679B62C1-3F5C-4478-9E1C-288A5301A075.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 5DEB9F1A-5D83-4052-ADF2-D42C819D998B.jpeg
    5DEB9F1A-5D83-4052-ADF2-D42C819D998B.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 9
That one is not adjustable. On the older models there was a hex nut and you could calibrate it by twisting the face of the thermo with a small wrench on the hex nut. Honestly they're really of not much use. It's only a "reference" device not a precision device. Heck my Wolf does not even have a thermo

That one is not adjustable. On the older models there was a hex nut and you could calibrate it by twisting the face of the thermo with a small wrench on the hex nut. Honestly they're really of not much use. It's only a "reference" device not a precision device. Heck my Wolf does not even have a thermo
That’s okay! I will keep in mind that it’s reading 30-40 less. How do you tell the temperature on your grill without a thermo?

Getting a replacement is cheap enough just order one. They aren’t really much use, as far as I’m concerned. I have one that works “as expected” and I don’t depend on it for real reference, that’s what probe grate thermometers are for.

Getting a replacement is cheap enough just order one. They aren’t really much use, as far as I’m concerned. I have one that works “as expected” and I don’t depend on it for real reference, that’s what probe grate thermometers are for.
I hear that people use a device that uses one grill grate thermometer and one to stick in the meat. What is a good brand to look at?

I should add, I don't use a grate thermometer on my gas grill. The lid therm is close enough. I'm not baking a cake so if it's 350 or 375 is close enough for me.

I also don't do low temp cooks on my gassers

I should add, I don't use a grate thermometer on my gas grill. The lid therm is close enough. I'm not baking a cake so if it's 350 or 375 is close enough for me.

I also don't do low temp cooks on my gassers
True I guess it doesn’t matter. I will always keep in mind that my thermometer is 40 degrees too low. I’m sure I don’t need a new one. Maybe in the future

C851AC64-5B8D-4EA4-9E4C-C97A148CEE7A.jpeg
I got this after about a week after I got my bullet. I’ve had to replace probes a couple of times and batteries, it has been very dependable! It was cheap too! Like under 30 bucks.
Oh, case was separate ($20) but, convenient.

my thermometer on my Weber grill is not accurate. I took it off the grill and cleaned it. Then I put it in boiling water and it’s only showing 175-176F. My digital thermometer is coming in at 211.2F which is acceptable. How do I adjust the temp on my Weber thermometer. There is no screw or nut to turn on the back. Is there another way or do I have to buy a new one to get accurate results?
In one of your pictures it looks like the stem is bent. If it is, try straightening it, and test it again.

Gerry

That’s okay! I will keep in mind that it’s reading 30-40 less. How do you tell the temperature on your grill without a thermo?
IDK, I just "know". On my Weber grills I simply use them as a "scale" not a "thermometer". IOW I know how the grill will cook at a certain gas setting and time and an actual temperature means nothing to me. With the Wolf same thing. I know if it's turned on full bore all 6 burners for 10 to 12 min it's hotter than the devil could stand, and likewise if it's on med level all 6 I know what it will do with any given piece of protein or veg. And the there are combinations of off and or on burners. So a thermometer is not all that important. I can tell pretty much where I am at simply holding my hand above the grates as well. On my Weber grills the thermometers are just something to cover the hole Weber left in the lids

I look at it as “hotter than hades” “Not-as hot as hades”, and “The tank is empty” come on, it’s grilling. Be flexible, have another beverage! If it’s too hot dinner is burned, if it’s not hot enough, you have time for another cocktail!

I think there’s also one without the separate remote but it’s only $10 less. I would like one with replaceable batteries instead of rechargeable
The remote is really nice in inclement weather, put a plastic bag over the sending unit and stay inside. mine used stock AA batteries, easy as pie. Spend the extra for the remote, you will not regret it!
that particular one isn’t available anymore but, the Thermopro TP08 is on sale for $31.00 at Amazon the remote has a little more range.

Last edited:
On my Weber grills I simply use them as a "scale" not a "thermometer".

Exactly. I have no idea if my 20 year old Genesis thermometer is accurate or not. But it does tell me low/medium/high generally.

Primarily useful for knowing when the grill is pre-heated up. And also how hot the grill is running in really cold weather vs. normal operation. Beyond that, you can SWAG the cooking temp without a thermometer just by knowing how the knobs are turned up or down.

For a real temp read, anything from Thermoworks or Thermopro will work well. I use those mostly for long cooks on the smoker. For long cooks on the gasser (like a turkey) I'll monitor the meat sometimes with a digital probe, but never bother to monitor the grate.

Last edited:

Back