I hope some of our meals will fit in.

ES Reuter

TVWBB Member
I was saving up photos of a few recent meals to share while i was lurking around in the shadows.

The wife and I have a small worldly palate. Nothing exceptional, she is from Taiwan and we frequently stay in taiwan and i lived in Japan for a year for the specific purpose to study language and cooking. Thats why our palate is only a little worldly, there is a whole globe out there to taste!

I look at my webers as a heat source, from the bottom like a burner and then lid on as a oven. I truly believe that one can cook anything on the kettles and other type of gas and coal fired instruments.

any who enough rambling, here are a few snippets from our kettle creations.

yesterday:
Tofu 3 ways with garlic and red pepper steamed broccoli.

aaa0f49d.jpg

I got the horizon upside down. :) The broccoli and what will be soy sauce crusted tofu and char sui garlic tofu

be981627.jpg

Miso braised tofu

24d3d451.jpg

everything together. I found recently that the char sui sauce paired with a sugar free spicy rub on st. louis ribs is an amazing flavor combo!:cool:

the weather was so nice the lady and i just plopped down on the deck and enjoyed a great dinner.

I hope our creations will fit in with all of ya. You will see lots of lean meats and ways to make them tasty as I am workin on lowering my tryglicerides, doctors orders, and i want to beat it with out pills, i hope.

ESR

Tonight.

Tonight was chao fen, as many will know as fried rice.

We love fried rice in our house because it is a great way to use up anything in the fridge and i mean anything.

I will post our opener cook which was black iron pizza, the photos are on the ladys phone, soon.

We had left overs from our pizza ingredients, all the standard fried rice ingredients, onions green peps, carrots green onion.

the two rarities were Canadian bacon and pineapple. let me say this, wow i never thought this before but those two really add a subtle but absolutely great flavor punch to the dish.

it was a great first time flavor experience for us. usually after our sushi parties the fried rice is very special and very yummy with the addition of basil but this time was a great new flavor to experience.

c20b0714.jpg

not much for an action photo but frying the rice is such high heat and fast work. plus i forgot a few things, i had to run back in the house for. durrr:rolleyes: next time i promise.:cool:

58c86095.jpg

the finished product with some of the left over tofu.;)

again, hope our stuff will fit in with all of ya!

tanks for reading this far.

esr

Looks great. Love that last shot of the plated (bowled) dish. Welcome to TVWB!

Welcome to the board. What were your thoughts on tofu cooked on the grill? Did it absorb a lot/too much smoke? Can't really have tofu in my house. Girlfriend's allergic to soy (and she's Korean, the combination of the two leading to many tales of hilarity from her childhood).

My wife is Chinese and I admit I don't eat much of her Dofu dishes....but getting it all smokey might just change all that...thanks for the GREAT tip!

What were your thoughts on tofu cooked on the grill? Did it absorb a lot/too much smoke?
absorb to much smoke, nope.
i have grilled tofu directly and with iron cookware and find that it generally does not absorb too much smokey flavor.
this time around i did notice that the drier tofu took a little more flavor.
normally we just open, drain, cut, grill then eat.
this time around i soaked up a large amount of water by letting the tofu stay out for an hour and constantly wringing out the paper towel under it to suck out excess moisture.

Gene B.

you will find the taste of the dofu is pleasant with some smoke on it. However the texture of it will not change, so if its a texture issue for your mouth it wont really help.
i will state this, getting the tofu on a really hot sear on the cast iron to make a nice crunchy outside will give it the texture of a crispy fried egg white. If you like your eggs with a crisp bottom you will dig the seared dofu, just cut it thinner and you can avoid the softer middle.

i have been giving it thought, but perhaps a nice low and slow is in order with some dofu, just to give it a test.

esr

It's not so much the texture - as I eat alot of sushi of ALL kinds, sea cucumber, squid, uni, etc.. It's mostly the bland non-flavor, combined with the non-texture. I think if it got smokey I'd be far more inclined.
Thanks for all your advice on this.

Welcome aboard! Those are some neat cooks, and I have to say that is the most well-seasoned wok I've ever seen outside of a Chinese restaurant.

Back