I haven't been here in ages!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gosh, it's been AGES since I've posted here, or even stopped by. Poor WSM has been sitting in the garage all lonesome and neglected... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Well it's coming out tonight for a couple of pork butts. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait.

I need to spend a couple of hours reading the boards and see what new tidbits I can pick up.

I got some silicone oven mitts that I can't wait to try out with the butts - sorry if these have been mentioned already, but if not - here's a link:

Silicone Oven Mitts

I'm looking forward to pulling the butts off the smoker tomorrow morning and being able to simply wash the mitts with soap and water. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'll let you know how it turns out. It's good to be here again... I've missed this place terribly and I've missed using my WSM. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kelly

I have missed having you around here, too. Glad you're back. Hope things are well with you and Kevin. I'm guessing the soap business has been keeping you busy, which is a good thing!

I checked out those Orka silicone gloves at Bed Bath & Beyond last year. At the time they were $19.95 each, a bit too expensive for me, but looks like the prices is starting to come down a bit. I worried a little about dexterity, since they're a mitten design...let us know how you like them for pulling pork.

Regards,
Chris

Thank you for the welcome backs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Between the soap business and a full-time medical transcription job, I certainly never get bored! Kevin and I are doing very well, Chris - thanks for asking.

The butts turned out great. I forgot how much I miss the heavenly smells associated with the smoker!

The mitts worked great for taking the butts off the WSM. They were "okay" for the actual pulling. You're right Chris, dexterity is somewhat cumbersome because of the design. They are pricey and I'm not sure I'd spend that much on them again, but overall, I like them.

Now to decide what I want to smoke next... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kelly

Kelly,

My wife got me one of the Orka gloves and overall they aren't bad. However, I don't like the grooves in them. They tend to pull off some of the rub and bark and they also make it a little harder to clean. Overall they are good, but not perfect. I was curious if you had the problem with them taking the rub with them especially during the middle of a cook.

Well Jon, inasmuch as I was force-fed too much beer last night by aliens, I was comatose for the middle of the cook *whistling innocently* so I didn't get to try them in that aspect. I didn't have that problem when pulling the butts this morning, but I can certainly see where the grooves could be a problem - especially mid-cook.

I can't answer your question about cleanup, as I am fortunate enough to have a good-looking, good-natured husband who takes care of all cleanup. A girl can't ask for much more than that... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think these silicon mitts have a lot of potential. Hopefully, the manufacturers will work out the design flaws and bring the price down in the not-too-distant future.

I had to laugh - the "instructions" that came with them said you can pluck things out of boiling water. Then they proceeded to tell you not to let the boiling water come up over the cuffs and flow into the mitts. No sh*t Sherlock!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif But, I can see someone pursuing a lawsuit.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Kelly

I've have'nt been very active lately either around here. I'll pop in and out every now and then to see what's up. Maybe throw in a few reply's every now and then. But you guys gave me the urge to pull out the WSM and do a pork shoulder for the superbowl Saturday night now. Or I just might thaw one or two of my Chuck Blade roasts and make shredded BBQ beef instead. That may be the way to go seeing as it would'nt cost me anything /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back