I Found my Tribe; I'm a Grill Restorer

Willard

TVWBB Fan
I just found this site last night. I should say, I found my TRIBE last night and I love it. Let me explain:
A month ago I moved from an apartment in New York City to a house on half an acre in Westchester County. I always wanted to grill and we rarely go out to eat as we eat 99% of our meals at home. We had donated and grabbed things from Craigslist before. A week after we moved, we picked up a Non-Weber grill which was gas but fell on hard times and the owner used it with charcoal. Charcoal didn't work for us as we were newbies at grilling and getting the charcoal to a good place took forever. With two little kids, we needed to be up and running faster so we moved to gas. Our neighbor gave us another Non-Weber gas grill which was mostly working but needed repairs. I started watching YouTube videos and the name Weber kept coming up over and over. I decided to just ditch the first two faulty and flimsy Non-Webers and drove to Central New Jersey where we found a Spirit II 210 in excellent condition. It was a condominium complex where grills were prohibited but most people had one. A problem brought the Fire Department and along with the Condo Management, they threatened fines of $5000 to those who insisted on keeping them. I'm mentioning that story because they guy I bought it from explained that most people just threw their grills away. There were over 200 apartments, the idea that half of those threw away their grills at once is just overwhelming to me. He said there were piles upon piles of all kinds of grills.
Anyway, I paid $200 (with cover) and we brought it home where I gave it a thorough cleaning. By then, I had learned about using a putty knife and using degreasers on the cookbox but not on the grates. The finished product looked like it had just arrived from the store. I felt super proud as I had never done anything like this. A week later, while driving around our new suburban neighborhood, I found an older Spirit 310. It needed TLC but I could see that these were even more sturdy than the Spirit II I had just purchased. I loaded it on my SUV and drove home slowly with the trunk lid open. I completely took it apart, cleaned and had it working in a couple of days. It cooked just as good as the Spirit II, if not better. I prefer and drive older cars and I prefer older appliances given their better quality, so I was partial to this older grill. The bottom frame of that older 310 had rusted out so bad that a whole wheel came off. I had to use a piece of wood (4x4) to prevent it from falling over.
A week ago, someone posted a free identical grill 48 miles from me. I contacted the owner right away and drove to pick it up in the suburbs of Connecticut. The bottom of the case was flawless, no rust. A barely used cover was included with this free grill. You guessed it, I ended up taking the best of both 310 grills and made one. The lesser of the two I posted on Craigslist and gave away.
I'm now looking at buying (or picking up) an older Genesis so I could have something slightly bigger for when we host larger groups. I also like fixing older grills and giving them away to family and friends.
This is a long way of saying that I truly enjoy restoring Weber grills and that I'm glad I found this site.
At one point and while living in Manhattan, I owned 11 bicycles; I'm now down to 5. One rhetorical question lingers: how many grills are enough? and what are the right ones one should own?

Welcome to the family Will! It sounds like you've found your way home. You can never have too many grills :LOL:! I personally like the older grills myself like the Genesis 1000-5000 series or the Silvers/Golds/Platinums. I also prefer the EW layout as opposed to NS because I like to do roti cooking.

: how many grills are enough?

While there is no definitive answer to this, most guys answers are
dictated to by their available amount of space, or their wives.
I have about 35 right now, but not quite sure of the exact amount.
I have a great wife, and a little more space, so I am not quite there yet
with either obstacle.

and what are the right ones one should own?

All of them that you want to own, or can make a buck off of.

Welcome Will to the friendly forum of grill nuts. I prefer the older ones to because it reminds of my self.....old. My wife Barb is a member of the forum also and is a great griller.
We used have 12 grills and smokers both gas and charcoal, we are now down to 5 grills. I still even have my 1998 Genesis 1000 now a 2000 that I bought new and it's in perfect condition.
You landed in the right spot here there is literally a world of knowledge on this forum and a friendly bunch as well. If you have questions feel free to ask someone will have the answer to any grilling question you have.
Once the Weberitis sets in which there is no cure you will know you can never have enough Weber's

Welcome. I'm a newbie to the resto world of webers. I'm learning the subtle differences between years and models matter.

Time and space are my limiting factors as there seems to be a bountiful supply of free or nearly free genesis grills around me.

Yep, welcome. If you find that you have a new hobby that takes up too much of your time and space and money, you have what is called Weberitis. No known cure, but there is help available.

Restoring grills can be very rewarding, but it is also time consuming, dirty work. If you start using an angle grinder/cup brush and strong alkali cleaners you also need to be aware that it is not without some inherent dangers. For that, use your head. Don't do foolish stuff, and DEFINITELY DO get safety equipment. Good eye and ear protection, real masks (not cheapo thin ones), and gloves for starters.

My wife does not like my hobby very much. A lot of that has to do with me being a "collector" of a number of things - toy submarines, Kennedy assassination books & memorabilia and now grills (at least I know I can't collect classic cars, but don't ask how many diecast ones I have!). Grills can become a fever - we call it Weberitis - and as Larry suggests it can even go to additional brands. For me that is PK and Broilmaster, but Wolf, Lynx, Fire Magic and some others round out the high asperation dreams you also can get into. People sometimes sell the ultra expensive ones pretty cheap after they have a lot of wear and tear. But, like restoring a classic car, the entry price is not the only consideration. The parts on my uncompleted Lynx cost way more than the huge Lynx grill itself, and I still need more parts!

Enough rambling! We are glad you are here and look forward to seeing your posts. Most everyone on this board is eager to help, so don't hesitate to reach out for advice.

My wife does not like my hobby very much. A lot of that has to do with me being a "collector" of a number of things - toy submarines, Kennedy assassination books & memorabilia and now grills (at least I know I can't collect classic cars, but don't ask how many diecast ones I have!). Grills can become a fever - we call it Weberitis - and as Larry suggests it can even go to additional brands. For me that is PK and Broilmaster, but Wolf, Lynx, Fire Magic and some others round out the high asperation dreams you also can get into.
I found that moving frequently can cure the "collecting virus". Also think about the people who will have to deal (I mean give a way, sell, trash, etc) with the collections left behind when you pass to BBQ heaven. I really hope I get at least a 3-6 month notice that I am going to die, so I can get rid of the things that my wife and son will not want or have a use for. As for my grills - everything will go except 1 gas grill maybe. I like to plan ahead.

I joined 4 years ago and didn't use any of the knowledge here. Halfway fixed up at crappy old spirit and cooked on it for those 4 years. Now went nuts on an old Genesis and then bought a skyline and fixed up for my mother. These things are fun purely because they are fixable. I don't have it in me to find, fix, and flip, but I do whatever I can to get a friend to go down our route and not buy a new one.

Back