i doubted my smokey joe.....

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
i bought a smokey joe back in november. it sat in the laundry room for a long time. i honestly just overlooked it, i thought it was too small and didnt think i could do more than sausages and dogs on it.

well... my son saw the box a couple of months ago and deemed it his "baby grill". he begged and begged me to put it together so he could cook on it too. he is four so i was very hesitant. but i finally put it together, with him helping of course. that night we made dogs and sausages. i was surprised at the heat it kept up and the sausages came out nicely.

didnt do much else on it though. like i said, i just really doubted it... the small area between coals and food. the small vent on the bottom. the varying opinions i had read on it.

well... for Easter i bought a whole pork loin. i cut off one end of it leaving us with about 6lbs for Easter sunday and a small 3lb roast that i didnt know what to do with. i was going to brine it but forgot.... ugh.

on monday i wanted to throw it on the grill, but couldnt see firing up the 22 for such a small roast.

i decided that it was small enough to play with on the smokey joe.

i cut it in half just for space reasons. then i put the two pieces on the SJ along with a long meaty/fatty piece i had trimmed off the loin the day before.

i did a quick sear of the two pieces... then put them on either side indirect with the trimmed piece laying in the middle indirect as well.

i checked them after about 45 minutes... rotated them then left them for another hour or so.

when i checked the temps they were between 140 and 145. so i pulled them.

they looked nice... and when i cut into them... SUPER, SUPER moist. i am talking better than the pork loins i have made on the 22. i checked the temps again because i was unsure about doneness just based on how juicy they were and still a bit pink. but sure enough they were at 145 by now.

everyone commented on how these were better than easter sundays pork loin.

if youre still reading this... i sincerely apologize for doubting the Smokey Joe!!!

gotta try some other stuffs on the smokey joe!

Did you have the charcoal in a small pile in the center with the loins near the edge in order to cook indirect?

oh sorry forgot to mention how i did that.

i just banked them to one side like i would on the 22. i used about half a chimney or so...

because they were banked to one side i needed to rotate the little loins.

Nice Job Becky..
Sounds like you need to make yourself a Tamale Pot Smoker\Cooker..
While I didn't do it with mine, you could put 2 grates in it and it will hold lots of food.
The great thing about them is that they hold temp and use very little fuel.

Cmon, you know you want to!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
Nice Job Becky..
Sounds like you need to make yourself a Tamale Pot Smoker\Cooker..
While I didn't do it with mine, you could put 2 grates in it and it will hold lots of food.
The great thing about them is that they hold temp and use very little fuel.

Cmon, you know you want to!
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES!!!! i do! i do! and i have read up on them, but i have no access to drilling/cutting etc. i hate it....

So you're telling me, that you don't know anyone with a cordless drill or a hacksaw?
And all you really need is a hacksaw blade..
Oh, you're killin me!

my husband is an electrician
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif

so i have access to some things. but i guess in my mind i picture some beautiful garage set up with all these wondrous power tools that i could get my hands on.
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif
alas... that is not the case for me... ha we dont even have a garage lol

so if there is a way i can do it with stuffs i have on hand then i am up for playing around and trying it out.

OK, well, then he can loan you the drill. All you need is something to cut the bottom.
Aluminum is a really soft metal. You can do it with a hack saw blade. Probably only a couple bucks at most.
Now you have to hunt for a Tamale Pot.

Oh yeah, please use safety equipment and wear gloves. We don't want to hear that you sacrificed any flesh or worse!

we actually have a pretty large ethnic population here and a lot of places sell tamaleras . i have been checking out the threads for the brand names that are a perfect fit. i know we have some sort of a hacksaw, i will ask my husband to help me out with trying to cut out the bottom.

Becky,
Thats's awesome, hope you git er done!
You are the WO-MAN!
In all seriousness, these cookers are trhe bomb!
AJ

Back