I Don't Need No Veggies!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
I just wanted to be a great big ol' he-man, macho guy today, so I grilled up some strip steaks, brats and beans! I like my steaks medium well and these came out great. Git dem veggies outta here - dey messin' up da flavor!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm feelin' so full right now!

Tony, the pictures look once again awesome, although I like my steaks cooked a little more rare.

Erik

Originally posted by Erik G:
Tony, the pictures look once again awesome, although I like my steaks cooked a little more rare.

Erik

My dad is the same way. He likes to hold his steak up in the sunlight for a few minutes - then he calls'em done!
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

That's hilarious. It's funny how I started off with well done (that's how my parents eat their beef) when I was young, then medium well as I aged and slowly after a few years I have become a medium rare guy. I assume most people start eating their meats similar to how their parents like it. How did you start off to be a medium well guy?

Erik

Originally posted by Erik G:
That's hilarious. It's funny how I started off with well done (that's how my parents eat their beef) when I was young, then medium well as I aged and slowly after a few years I have become a medium rare guy. I assume most people start eating their meats similar to how their parents like it. How did you start off to be a medium well guy?

Erik

Well, after I actually learned how to grill and stopped offering my burnt sacrifices to the "steak gods", I just kinda stumbled onto this medium well thing. I had always thought there was only two ways to have steak; Rare, which is what my dad liked and Well, which I liked because I knew it was "done". So, I tried to find something in between because the well steaks were way to dry, and I got tired of drowning them in steak sauce to make up for the flavor that was missing. Rare was just not an option for me because the steaks are just too "red juicy" if you know what I mean. It wasn't until later that I realized that there are actually several levels of "done-ness" on a website I visited that talked about the perfect steak. I have been cooking my steaks medium well since then and I order them in restaurants the same way.

Looks great Tony. You are not alone, I'm a medium well guy myself. I do it so all that delicous fat gets good and charred. I can go as rare as medium
icon_rolleyes.gif
but not too often I'll eat them like that. No mooing for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ummm...aren't beans a vegetable? I know they're a meat substitute but still.
icon_razz.gif
Seriously that steak looks good. I'm a medium well man myself. Is that a crust on your steak? Or is it grill marks? I can't tell for sure which it is. Also it looks like you used some kind of seasoning. Care to share?

Originally posted by Bryan S:
No, they are a Legume, a fruit.

icon_eek.gif
Wow! You learn something new every day at this forum! I had no idea. I knew tomatoes are a fruit...

I'll tell you what though, some good ol home fried potato wedges would have gone good with that steak. Or are potatoes not veggies either?
icon_confused.gif

Delicious looking! I am of the medium rare variety myself. I like a red center but warm, not cold. My dad will take a piece of beef out of the fridge, slice it up dip it into a vietnamese fish sauce and eat it. True story.

Nice looking meal. However, I'm afraid the beans qualify as a vegetable. I have this agument with people all the time. Here's a great definition of both "vegetable" and "fruit".

definition

Al

Not to confuse matters here, but I don't *classify* beans or potatoes as vegetables in my menu planning. I do *consider* them as starches, though. But that's just me.

And with beans, you can play the complementary protein game with wheat and corn products as part of the menu, but that's another thread.

Probably not a manly guy thang anyway....
icon_wink.gif

Rita

Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Nice looking meal. However, I'm afraid the beans qualify as a vegetable. I have this agument with people all the time. Here's a great definition of both "vegetable" and "fruit".

definition

Al
My source So we'll let Wikipedia argue it out amungst (that's Amish talk) themselves.
icon_biggrin.gif

You know what they say, "Beans, beans the magical fruit...". I like my steak to be about medium. I can eat it to either side of doneness. Just a long as it's not cold or shoe leather. I love beans with any BBQ. I like to make my own from scratch and put a pan of them under whatever I have on the smoker to catch the drippings. I do them same with mac & cheese. Just ate lunch and I'm getting hungry.

Back