I don't get it, but I really like it

T Bounds

TVWBB Super Fan
OK, friends, I've mentioned this thought before but now I'm bullish about it. I've experienced many times how using "unspent" Kingsford charcoal and a little "fresh" charcoal will increase the heat, but now I'm sold.

Last night I needed to clean my WSM grates for a rib smoke today. I had a bunch of "unspent" charcoal so I gathered it all in a bucket for using later. I put in a thin layer in the grill, lit half or less of a chimney of new, spread it over the old, and put in the grate and the WSM grates. About an hour later I went out and the grill was running at 500 degrees. I could barely touch the handle.

Today I needed to grill some chicken to make an easy supper. I scraped together the "unspent" charcoal, put on top about a third of a chimney of new lit coals, banked them on the side, and again, the temp went high, about 400 degrees. After the chicken was done I spread out the charcoal, took the dirty WSM grates out and the rib racks and stacked them on the grate, and closed it up. Again, the temp was incredible.

I'm done trying to figure it out. I'm just going to use it effectively. I'm going to save charcoal whenever I can, store it in some safe container, and use it when I need super high heat. It's like charcoal on steroids. I can't wait to try pizza again with this method! Or steaks! Big heat, here I come!

I think Kingsford develops an ash layer that throttles the burn and temp. Maybe the used Kingsford doesn't develop the same layer of ash to choke the fire like the new.

Until now, I didn't realize it but I think I have experienced this phenomenon. I had some unspent and a new bag yesterday for some quick burgers. I hated to open the new bag but really didn't think the unspent was enough to do the job. That little bit did the job VERY well (almost too well). I am convinced sunspent burns hotter than new.

I do it all the time with lump. In my experience when I close all the vents the lump stops burning much faster then Kinsford leaving me more for the next cook.

I re-use Kingsford all the time. I just close the vents on the WSM or OTG after each use. For burgers or hot dogs, I'll use all "old." For longer cooks, I'll mix it with new.

Steve, I like your thinking. I have been closing my vents for a year or two now, never knowing before that I could reuse charcoal. How much good have I wasted for years?! Even so, I've simply reused the old with each new cook, not paying attention to anything. Now I'm saving and storing for purpose, and my purposes for the high heat old charcoal gives are steaks, burgers, and pizza. I'm learning to control the temp on the performer like I do the WSM. My wife says I'm scary now, but nobody throws the food away!

Originally posted by Steven P (Tupelo):
I re-use Kingsford all the time. I just close the vents on the WSM or OTG after each use. For burgers or hot dogs, I'll use all "old." For longer cooks, I'll mix it with new.

i do the same. works great for me

Do you think this has anything to do with grease/oil dripping down onto the coals while cooking that helps the used coals to burn a bit hotter? Just thinking out loud here...

Of course, the grease/juice dripping onto the hot coals, vaporizing and coming back up into the food is one of the unique things that make charcoal cooking so wonderful and addictive!

I always thought it might be because it's completely dried out after the first burning. I'm sure the manufactures leave as much moisture as possible in the coal. The more moisture in the coal, the less coal it takes to fill the bag.

I snuff out my grill all the time and I put gaskets on my wsms for the same reason. I use used charcoal over again to light and to fuel whatever I am doing. Sometimes I take it from left overs in the smoker and other times from leftovers in the grill. Lots of times I load up the grill knowing I can snuff it out right after the cook to re-use next cook but this works better with lump for me than briquettes.

I have a 22.5 OTG and a 18.5 OTS. I use the smaller grill to store left over charcoal for the next use.

I try to waste as little as possible.

Dale53

I believe the kingsford specific phenomenom is related to the biders burning off sooner than the char dust. Te result is a slightly harder to light piece with more charcoal resultign in more heat.

It is just a crazy theory.

Back