I did my first fattie (w/photos)

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
This evening, I did my first fattie. I used Bob Evans sausage (original) as, after all, I am an Ohio "boy".

Fattie unwrapped (kitchen shears seemed to work best to remove the tough plastic wrap):
FattieontheGrillSelects_1600x1200.jpg

Fattie with rub (used a standard pork rub I made with a bit of cayenne, some garlic flakes, and ground pepper added) - NO SALT:
FattieontheGrillSelects2_1600x1200.jpg

Fattie after 30 minutes of indirect medium heat:
FattieontheGrillSelects3_1600x1200.jpg

Fattie after being sauced and finished:
FattieontheGrillSelects4_1600x1200.jpg

I wished, after it was too late, that I had taken pictures of the slices. There was a definite smoke ring and the fattie was absolutely delicious. My wife is a trained Home Economics teacher (college level) and an excellent cook and critic. She gave it a thumbs up with ribbons. It is now part of my permanent grill recipe file and will be visited often.

My wife supplied fried potatoes, home made apple sauce (to die for) and a fried egg, apiece, as well as toasted, buttered English Muffins.

We often eat "breakfast for supper" so this fit right in.

"Not long ago I didn't even know what a "fattie" was. Now, I are one." Thanks to all of you who helped educate this relative newcomer to this forum.

Dale53

We followed up on the "fattie" by taking left over slices and "frizzling" them in a skillet (like my wife does left over meatloaf). It is a NEW taste treat. It is equally good as "right off the fire" but different.

Side dishes were fresh green beans, braised then fried with bacon fat and bacon bits, along with potato salad! M-m-m-m, good!

You sure won't be wasting any, I guarantee!

Dale53

Back