I bought a grill to rehab

Ok, finally have a picture. The gasket is the little red ring around the brass piece and seals against the gas control bracket.

Thanks for the picture and sorry, I don't have any experience with your grill so I can't give you any real help. I have not seen this type of gas valve before. Mine are the type that you put gas pipe dope on the threads and screw into the manifold. Yours appears to be a type that you bolt into the manifold.

Not sure what you mean by tank glides.

Oh, I know what he means by tank glides. It is that plastic piece in the photo next to the valve....the thing the propane tank rests on to hold it off the grill frame.

If you need one of those, I am sure I have a spare. PM me if so.
Bruce

Yep, those thing. That’s what the owners manual called them. I drilled out one of the rubber stoppers with a 3/16 bit so it will hold tightly to the 1/4 bolt. I am definitely going to have to put a nut on first to hold the tank rack securely because the rubber stopper is pretty soft and may pop off. Needs a little more playing around. I enjoy working around problems; repurposing found things.
My other thought was shaping a little block of uhmw plastic (ultra high density plastic, forgot what it exactly stands for) and thread it but that would be a lot of work.
I did finally find a source for them at https://www.ereplacementparts.com/tank-glide-button-p-1476796.html
Eddie

Eddie: I would have sent you some for a few bucks.

And I really appreciate it and still may take you up on that. I want to see if I can come up with a solution. I’m retired, have a small shop and have time to play. I’ll post whatever I figure out. Surely I won’t be the last person to run into this.
I kept looking online because I was surprised that something like that was not available. I don’t plan to pay ereplacementparts price plus shipping for them.
Eddie

Right, I was worried you were going to wind up paying $15 for them. I will be interested to see if you come up with a custom solution.

I wish I could find some place that had a good selection of hardware like the old fashion hardware stores. But they are gone. It is true for hardware, electronic parts, wood. Lowe’s and Home Depot only carry what has a pretty high volume and both carry the same thing, actually probably the same supplier. I can usually find what I need online, I.e , Amazon, McMasterCarr, etc, but that is not all good either. I recently needed 2 little, not particularly specialized, battery connectors. I had to order 100 for $8, and $5 shipping and wait for a month. Oh, well. Whatcha gonna do?
Eddie

This is a question about the plastic/thermolite shelves, end caps and handle. The grill is a 2002 Silver B. On the first picture I posted on this thread you can (barely) see that the end caps, handle and swing shelf are a light gray. The removable work table is the original speckled color. The handle and end caps are a solid darker gray painted light gray. The swing table is the original thermolite painted gray. They are all taking a light sanding nicely so I should be able to get them back to the base material relatively easily without any damage. I am resisting using chemicals because I don’t know what it will do to the plastic.
Were the handle and end caps originally a solid gray plastic and the worktables the speckled thermolite or has something been swapped out at some point?
Once I have them cleaned up then do I need to seal the surfaces?
I’m almost ready to start reassembling.
Eddie

On the older Silvers, the end pieces were solid gray while the tables were gray speckled. The later Silvers had black end pieces and more rounded thermoset tables that seem to me, at least, to be more blue-gray than the older ones.

To preserve your plastic, you would definitely benefit from some type of treatment. 303 Spray Protectant has a lot of admirers because it is not greasy like some other trim restorers and is highly rated for UV protection. On the other hand it doesn't bring as dramatic results as some of the trim restorer products. If you are uncomfortable with using chemicals on your tables, then another way to go is to use food grade mineral oil that a number here have reported having good results using on thermoset.

Started re-assembly.
Replaced the frame cross member that the fire box bolts to.
Everything is painted.
Purchased new SS flavorizor bars, casters, wheels, ignighter box/w button, ignighter rocker button, drip pan, and SS bolts.
Stripped one screw on a control valve trying to take it out.
Need to finish fabing the new tank glides. Looks like the rubber stopper will work.
Need to finish cleaning up the hood and reassemble.
About one full days worth of work left or a week at my pace.
FHipme.jpg

Eddie,

Just have FUN and ENJOY the process. No need to feel rushed. It is coming along nicely and will be worth it all in the end!

Just noticed this thread. I have the identical grill from 2002. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape; the carts have a tendency to rust if left out in the weather uncovered. Great grill.

Back