I am seriously briquette-challenged

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I want a hot fire for stuff like that, I usually use the charcoal rails and pile the lit coals between them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So do I.

My temps are measured at a lid vent but I don't really care what they are. I do not cook direct very much. Even steaks. I cannot stand the black char from drippings that have flamed the fire. To me that is amateur cooking. Grill marks, fine. Charred meat uh-uh. I get good grill marks cooking indirect. (I heat the hell out of the grate over the coal piles before putting the steaks on, put the steaks on, then spin the grate so that they are indirect.) No cast iron grates needed - a good thing, imo, as I dislike CI grates immensely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
...I cannot stand the black char from drippings that have flamed the fire. To me that is amateur cooking. Grill marks, fine. Charred meat uh-uh. I get good grill marks cooking indirect. (I heat the hell out of the grate over the coal piles before putting the steaks on, put the steaks on, then spin the grate so that they are indirect.) No cast iron grates needed - a good thing, imo, as I dislike CI grates immensely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin's method is 100% foolproof at preventing flare-ups, and I highly recommend it for those under the common misconception that flare-ups and good ribeye sears go hand in hand. (Who, me?
icon_redface.gif
) I love a good sear, but I haven't missed that bitter charred taste one time since I started preventing flare-ups.

Well i guess with all this "non CIG talk" is a balance with chared and seared? If you like a good sear on your steaks CI-grates is hard to beat. If you "Char" your steak the grates dont matter.

I love a good sear too. Searing does not require grates of any kind. It requires heat. So does charring - but charring is the complete breakdown of meat at its surface, to the point of carbonization. Not good.

One can build a sear (let's face it, this is what occurs by, say, starting a roast in the oven at high temps then turning down the heat, or its reverse). With any grates - but especially CI grates because of their heat retention capabilities - one can overheat the grate to the point that charring occurs rather quickly after the steak goes on. It's worth working with fuel, heat and grates to get the timing down.

My lack of love for CI grates is a personal thing. I don't like their weight, their cumbersomeness (often made with removable pieces so that they do not have to be removed in one piece - but that is something I do not like either), but mostly I dislike the wide lines they leave on meats and other foods. Visually unappealing to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kbb is cheap, so you get what you pay for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
is there a reason Kingsford is the best (top) selling charcoal available...?
Dave, if you hate Kingsford, don't dis it by laying blaming it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is there a reason Kingsford is the best (top) selling charcoal available...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. It is the most widely distributed - and discounted - charcoal out there. Wide distribution - even wide popularity - does not necessarily mean quality. Cheap, widely available fast food burgers, pizza, etc., are ubiquitous. I'm not sure anyone would argue that a burger from McDonald's or Wendy's, or pizza from Dominoes represent the best burger or pizza you can buy.

I don't leave my steak on long enough to char, 2 minutes or less per side depending on thickness. I like my meat as rare as I can get it.

OK Kevin, please tell all of us what brand of charcoal you use to create all the fabulous Kruger cooks...

Mr Lampe, I was going to ask you the same question about what charcoal you use. I always love your photos, and if I cooked as good as you,I'd weigh 600 pounds. You, sir, are an inspiration to all the wannabees out here.

Whatever's available, Jim. For over two decades I've cooked all over the country. In many, many places that means I buy K blue or nothing (I don't count Matchlight as anything, as I'm sure you'd agree).

I'm not much of a K blue fan but having had to use it for so long I have probably cooked over it more than anything else.

I prefer Wicked Good. That's not available at the retail level in most areas. Humphrey's, RO, RO Brazilian, Ozark Oak. For briquettes (other than WG), Stubb's. K Comp is more available now so will get that in the absence of something I like better, and will always get it over blue.

When using lump I prefer to start the Minion (I always Minion in the WSM, often in a kettle, depending on what I am doing) with briquettes.

I have closed my trucking business, I hope for good. I will still do some pleasure traveling and will still cook for the odd client who will fly me in (or who offers a gig when I am already in the area on a pleasure trip), but my Vegas clients are keeping me busy enough when they are here. I'm using Stubb's, mostly, at home, and the odd lump brand I try. I have yet to spend time seeking out the retailers that carry different fuels. But I am not that picky. I have my preferences but will use almost anything in a pinch. I should not be faced with that again - or at least not very often.

...well, I've been using Kingsford for years longer than perhaps some members have been alive, does that make it best? NO.
Grillin' and smokin' as much as I do, Kingsford only makes sense... and I'll argue with anyone about the "smell" it emits.
My final product may not be la plaque du jour, but, I'll bet a buck two eighty it'll butt heads against any cooked over other black fuel.
I have no relation to Kingsford, as I do with other products I prefer... I do, however, blow their horn when it works well for me.
It's all personal preference, and as anyone can tell, I prefer K.
I am sure you'll find many that compete in BBQ cooks that they'll tote Kingsford with their equipment... if not for the simple reason, it's works for them.
I'm not ripping other brands, I love Stubb's and Royal Oak, the two others I've used many times... it's just not available as Kingsford.
Therefore, Kingsford is my choice.
But, blaming a brand of charcoal for inadequate heat or comparing it to a nations best selling fast food lunch is almost insane.

I'd agree wholeheartedly if the subject matter was about dryer lint.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But, blaming a brand of charcoal for inadequate heat or comparing it to a nations best selling fast food lunch is almost insane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shill for Kingsford?

I did neither. I said nothing about its heat potential nor did I compare it to fast food burgers - except to answer your question. That it is the best selling does not necessarily mean it's the best. If it is to you, fine. But one does not de facto mean the other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
...the fact that Kbb just doesn't burn as hot as lump or other briqs. It's cheap,... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin, I was pointing out Dave's line about Kingsford's heat inadequacy ... and I'll agree with you that the best selling product does not make the best product.
However, I will stick with my idea that Kingsford is a good product that does not compromise a cook. Of any kind.

Jim, there's over 250 lbs of Kingsford in blue bags stacked in my shed since I use it for general grilling and starting my smokes. But like most things that are cheap, it has it's limitations, one of which concerns the OP.

So sticking with the OP's question, know what's in bold print on the side of a bag of Kingsford <span class="ev_code_RED">Competition</span>? "HIGH HEAT FOR SEARING"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just leave the lid off until I'm ready to put the steak(s) on, pumps up the charcoal in short order.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agree with this. Leave the lid off and your grill will be screaming in no time. I have had my grill so freakin hot I had trouble turning the steaks with a long tongs over the hottest area of the grate, and never had to put the lid on.
If you need to control the heat, use the lid and the dampers. If you want super searing hot, leave the bottom dampers wide open, bank the coals to one side, and leave the lid off.

And I have to agree with Jim about Kingford. I enjoy various lump, we have a decent lump made here in WI called Grove Charcoal I use all the time but Kingsford is my go to charcoal. I smoke with it, grill with it. Its predictable and I know how to use it. I dont have any issues with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I want a hot fire for stuff like that, I usually use the charcoal rails and pile the lit coals between them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So do I.

My temps are measured at a lid vent but I don't really care what they are. I do not cook direct very much. Even steaks. I cannot stand the black char from drippings that have flamed the fire. To me that is amateur cooking. Grill marks, fine. Charred meat uh-uh. I get good grill marks cooking indirect. (I heat the hell out of the grate over the coal piles before putting the steaks on, put the steaks on, then spin the grate so that they are indirect.) No cast iron grates needed - a good thing, imo, as I dislike CI grates immensely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin: I tried this today and it worked great!! Good grill marks, nothing charred, nice sear. I am not sure of the temp, was 400+ when I started and I left all vents open during the cook. Cooked faster than expected too.

I think this would work well for burgers. Have you tried them using this method?

Yes. I do not do burgers very often but that is my procedure of choice.

Here's a burger quesadilla cook from a while back. Heated the grate well, put them on direct then immediately spun the grate to cook indirect. When ready, flipped them to direct on the now well heated-grated over the coals, then spun to indirect.

2011-04-09_13-26-52_448.jpg

Heated tortillas direct for a bit then sauced the tortillas and placed the burgers on them, topped with tomato and avo. Spun them to indirect while the other two tortillas heated:

2011-04-09_13-32-34_436.jpg

Flipped the hot tortillas and sprinkled cheese on their hot sides, which quickly started to melt. Put those on top of the burgers, cheese side down, spun to direct, briefly, to add a little crispness to the bottom; done.

2011-04-09_13-37-58_757.jpg

Yes. I do not do burgers very often but that is my procedure of choice.

Here's a burger quesadilla cook from a while back. Heated the grate well, put them on direct then immediately spun the grate to cook indirect. When ready, flipped them to direct on the now well heated-grated over the coals, then spun to indirect.

2011-04-09_13-26-52_448.jpg

Heated tortillas direct for a bit then sauced the tortillas and placed the burgers on them, topped with tomato and avo. Spun them to indirect while the other two tortillas heated:

2011-04-09_13-32-34_436.jpg

Flipped the hot tortillas and sprinkled cheese on their hot sides, which quickly started to melt. Put those on top of the burgers, cheese side down, spun to direct, briefly, to add a little crispness to the bottom; done.

2011-04-09_13-37-58_757.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

New item at the top of my "small lunch TO DO for me and the Missus" LIST. Burgers look fantastic, Kevin!

Jamie, I might have missed it somerwhere in the thread, what type of 22 kettle? I have a performer with the ash pan that goes underneath like a one touch gold or whatever, then I also have a 22 with just the tin frisbee looking ash catcher. Have cooked steaks side by side on both units and had to take the pan from underneath the performer in order for it to grill as hot as the regular low end kettle. Seams that the pan inhibits the air flow a tad more, thus lower temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Harris:
Jamie, I might have missed it somerwhere in the thread, what type of 22 kettle? I have a performer with the ash pan that goes underneath like a one touch gold or whatever, then I also have a 22 with just the tin frisbee looking ash catcher. Have cooked steaks side by side on both units and had to take the pan from underneath the performer in order for it to grill as hot as the regular low end kettle. Seams that the pan inhibits the air flow a tad more, thus lower temps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not saying it's not a possibility, but I had a OTS and a OTG before giving the silver to my daughter and son-in-law, and never noticed this difference. However, my Performer seems to cooks hotter than my OTG, presumably because it's lid fit isn't as tight.

Back