Humphrey charcole

Jay Lopa

TVWBB Fan
I have been using Humphrey lump and briquets lately and what a great product.Has any one else ever used it. I think it is better than kingsford and I have a lot of the old (K) left

Jay

Not to be a nay-sayer on Humphrey Lump, because I have used it in the past, however, I have found, in my own personal experience that it does not burn as long as Royal Oak Lump. I use Royal Oak regularly because it is readily available here. Humphrey is a good product but IMHO, Royal Oak has it beat. YMMV.

Bruce,
As you know, we get Royal Oak at GFS. Where did you get Humphrey Lump? If I have to go significantly out of my way, it will have to be much better than R.O., because R.O. is right up the road and I know it works very good. I was just interested in something else if it were easy to obtain. You can get Cowboy at T.J.'s, but I heard too many bad things about it for me to drive further for it than I do R.O.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Not to be a nay-sayer on Humphrey Lump, because I have used it in the past, however, I have found, in my own personal experience that it does not burn as long as Royal Oak Lump. I use Royal Oak regularly because it is readily available here. Humphrey is a good product but IMHO, Royal Oak has it beat. YMMV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I just posted in the past few weeks here that I can't get more than around a 10 burn out of R.O., but when I have Hump Lump, it would burn longer. Chime in here Bryan S!!!!
icon_confused.gif

Never used Hump lump, but heard it's very good.

As for RO lump, 10-12 hours burn time is it.

Good stuff, just lacks density to burn long.

Been using Picnic (over 20 hours burn time) and B @ B (15-16 hours burn time) for longer cooks.

I recently purchased my first bag of hump lump. I found it to be a very good product. It is difficult to find good lump in the Buffalo area. I have used Cowboy before and I was not crazy about it.

I'm a big fan of the Hump Lump...Thats what I use all the time...K Jordan...a good place to get the Lump (in the Buffalo area) is in the Clinton Bailey Food Terminal..Willobrowk Farms carrys it all year long and you can't beat there price its like $7 a bag and the Hump Bricks are $6.50

Bruce -

I buy at:
Smith & Boyd
1901 E Lehigh Ave
Philadelphia
(215) 739-6700

They stock 20# bags of Humphrey & Royal Oak for about $9.50. Suggest you call ahead to check their hours and inventory.

I also contacted another place about a year ago, they carry the same stuff:
Bell Charcoal Corp
11 Shurs Ln
Philadelphia
(215) 482-1805

Good luck.

Thanks Milke A.for the info i have been paying 14 for RO at local hardware stores.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Where do you get it? I've never seen it in Michigan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerry,

I picked some up when I was in Lancaster, PA a few years back, actually I was visiting Bryan S who occasionally posts here and he gave me several bags. He uses it exclusively.

Back