http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com - Any experiences?

Jimmy Charles

I've been looking for a place online that sells some smoking wood and stumbled across this site. They offer free shipping and it looks like the best way (Cost Effective) is to buy by the case.

http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/

Just wondering if anyone had any experience using chunks from these guys.

Thanks.

I have no experience with mainegrillingwoods.com but I would recommend that you check out eBay for some decent deals also. I have ordered from these guys who are from SW Virginia; they're fast and pretty reasonable with good quality wood. Of course shipping to central NC may be less expensive than where you are. I ordered a 50 lb box of apple and it was excellent: no bugs, no rot, no mold, etc (I requested the 10 month-dried chunks.) I see that they now have 50# box of apple for 19.99 + 21.57 shipping (your shipping may vary.)

The very best deals are when you can find a local supply of free wood of course so keep your eyes open and tell your friends also. I found a good supply of cherry from a friend who knows a guy because I gave him some pulled pork that I smoked!

Tom, do you know where these guys are located in SW Virginia? Travel thru there from time to time, possibly could save some shipping cost.

Bill, I think they are in Chilhowie, VA. Not too far from the intersection of NC, TN, and VA off of I-81. For me, shipping was cheaper than driving for the amount I was buying but I would consider driving if I was ordering more than a few 50# cartons (or if I was in the neighborhood).

Originally posted by Jimmy Charles:
They offer free shipping and it looks like the best way (Cost Effective) is to buy by the case.
I have no experience with them, however, nobody ships for nothing. If they offer free shipping, I think you can bet that the cost of freight is built into their prices. I'd have to check weights vs other sites to evaluate their price.

I still think it's hard to beat Smokinlicious.

http://www.smokinlicious.com/

The only drawback I found is that they don't have apple wood. The rest of their wood is top notch. Good center cut wood with no bark. Customer service is great as well. You can order over the internet, but it's worth giving them a call. I did that and wound up with a few freebies...they sent me some of their smoking dust and some wood chips when I ordered a couple boxes of chunks.

Their shipping is "free" as well. It says on the site that shipping is built into the price. It is a little more expensive than some sites but I think you come out ahead once you factor in the extreme shipping most places charge. Saw one place where you paid $19.95 for the wood and $21.95 for the shipping. That's crazy!!

Lee, I was looking at the Smokinlicious site and found their 1/3 cubic foot of wood costs $23.64... 1/3 cu foot is an 8.32 inch square box (I think) so it probably has 4-5 chunks in it? That seems pretty steep to me but it is indeed beautiful wood.

I am guessing that a 1 cu foot box ($42.05) would be 10-12 pounds or so? Does that sound right? 50 pounds of quality wood for 43 bucks total doesn't sound all that bad to me. The 50 pound box is a lot bigger than 1 cu foot though.

If you order from Smokinlicous, IMO, get the one cubic foot box of the double filet chunks. You don't want the single filet for the WSM.

I noticed that Smokinlicious has a distributor in Danville, VA which is not too far up the road from me... I wonder if their prices are the same as the web site (shipping included)? I might have to make the trip! I am not opposed to spending more for quality but I guess have to be convinced that the quality increase is worth the extra cost.

Originally posted by Tom Burrus:
The very best deals are when you can find a local supply of free wood of course so keep your eyes open and tell your friends also. I found a good supply of cherry from a friend who knows a guy because I gave him some pulled pork that I smoked!

I second that. Look around. Put the word out. There's usually some local wood that can be had for free. I let my friend know I was into smoking and one day he came by with a ton of cherry. Someone he knew cut done the tree and he grabbed most of the trunk for me. Sweeeet. There are orchards and also tree trimmers and wood sellers (fireplace) that come across all kinds of woods. Good luck.

I have bought from them. They are very reliable. Wood is high quality and kiln dried from all appearances. I live down the coast from Rockland so I recieved it FedEx the next day, which was nice. If you get one of the sample packs they will interchange any wood you like.

Call them if you have questions. They are very happy to answer questions.

Originally posted by Jimmy Charles:
I've been looking for a place online that sells some smoking wood and stumbled across this site. They offer free shipping and it looks like the best way (Cost Effective) is to buy by the case.

http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/

Just wondering if anyone had any experience using chunks from these guys.

Thanks.

I've use their wood. It's awesome product. THe chunks are perfect size and very consistent. Talk to Dorie and tell her that Scottie recommended you. She'll take care of you. Just a great person too. Try their planks as well. Those are very cool product that they have. I also don't think you can beat the price.

Good luck!

Scottie

Just ordered some of the black cherry, want to try it with chicken or ribs. I can't seem to find it around S. Calif.anywhere. Thanks for the web site. Mike

Cooking spatchcocked chicken with their black cherry as we speak! Will be doing brisket and ribs with their apple this weekend.

I will say, that when you open a bag or box of their wood. It almost overwhelmes you. I was amazed how sweet smelling the cherry chunk box I just got. Even the little sample packets with 3 or 4 chunks in them are awesome smelling when you break them open.

Good wood up there in Maine!

Scottie

Hey Scottie, can you tell me what size box you got, how many chunks you received and what size (double-filet I presume)?

I got the big box. Maybe 45-50 lbs? Also got a sampler box, which has maybe 8 0r 9 different varieties fo their woods. I recommend this one, as it gives you a full sample of their products. Also got some of the smaller bags. I think they are 4 or 5 pounds? the chunks are all pretty uniform in size. I would say fist size? I've ordered a lot of woods over the years for different things, but their product is very consistent and of the highest quality.

Scottie

Originally posted by Scottie Johnson:
I got the big box. Maybe 45-50 lbs? Also got a sampler box, which has maybe 8 0r 9 different varieties fo their woods. I recommend this one, as it gives you a full sample of their products. Also got some of the smaller bags. I think they are 4 or 5 pounds? the chunks are all pretty uniform in size. I would say fist size? I've ordered a lot of woods over the years for different things, but their product is very consistent and of the highest quality.

Scottie

Sounds like they are right on par with Smolinlicious. I love smokinlicious wood (double filet) although its pricey, its worth it, because you use every piece of wood they send you.

I hate it when I get down to the bottom of a bag and there is nothing left but chips (ie. cabelas wood). I wish I could find somewhere that sold pecan though, have yet to try it. Neither Smokinlicious or this place carry it.

Finding a local score is great, I just picked up some maple and my birch just dropped a few nice sized branches. But if you dont want to wait until next year to use it, then buying is your only choice.

Brandon

Does smokinlicious offer free shipping like Maine Grilling Woods do? That is a huge plus, when ordering bulky items like wood chunks. Especially if ordering the 50# box of chunks.

Back