Howdy from San Antonio!

Wesley Talbot

I've read this forum occasionally over the past few years, but I just signed up and am ready to get serious about smoking!

I probably haven't smoked anything in over 6 years, but I decided to dust off the old Smokenator for my Weber kettle this past weekend to cook a chuck roast (typically my wife would put it in the crockpot but I was tasked with cooking it so, naturally, I had to use fire). The results were tasty and it reminded me how much I loved to use a smoker on a warm summer day. I had to babysit it for the entire 6hr cook and replenish water/coals/wood fairly often. The chuck roast was good, but I know it could be much better!

On Monday, I purchased a lightly used WSM 18.5" from someone nearby and I'm ready to up my smoking game. This makes my third weber in the collection - I have a 22" one touch gold kettle and a 3-burner Genesis, so the WSM will be right at home.

Looking forward to learning a lot here, and contributing too!

Welcome Wesley!

A kettle, a genny and a WSM. You'll fit in just fine.

What are you planning to cook on the WSM?

Welcome Wesley!

A kettle, a genny and a WSM. You'll fit in just fine.

What are you planning to cook on the WSM?
We like almost everything that can be smoked! Beef, pork, ribs, jalepeno poppers, etc. I've smoked exactly 2 briskets in my life and neither turned out that great unfortunately, so I'll probably try to tackle one after I've got more WSM time under my belt.

I've bought gasket material for my WSM already, and I need to notch it for probes. I'm also starting work on building a HeaterMeter - that type of project is right up my alley!

WESLEY,
You have a great set of tools, do not be shy of asking questions here as we all have them, and that's how we learn. We love pictures of your cooks so we can drool.
I lived in Universal City back in the mid 70's great area and great BBQ history.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Did my first smoking session on the WSM last night. A tri tip that I smoked to 130 and then seared on a cast iron skillet, and a Ribeye that I smoked to 110 and then seared on a hot grill. Used a Fiesta brand rub I hand in my pantry for the tri-tip and then just salt and pepper on the ribeye. Obviously a very short smoke on both of these, but I was determined to use the WSM and this is the meat I had on hand. I'm still learning so it probably doesn't look the best, but it sure was tasty!:

IMG_5777.jpg

Back