How to Use This Grill Basket on a Weber Genesis Gas Grill?

EmoryG

TVWBB Fan
Someone in the family gave me a grill basket a long time ago. I have never used it, but now I am interested. The tag is lost if it had one. There are no markings or labels on it. It is made of coated metal, with a rubbery and slightly soft black plastic insert/cushion in the handle.

The basket fits on the grill grates with the lid closed, but I do not know whether the handle is designed to be inside the grill. There is a notch where the basket joins the handle. It looks like the notch is designed to allow the lid to remain mostly closed, but it leaves a gap in the lid and the basket levers up slightly inside the grill.

1. Will this basket work with my grill, or is it the wrong kind of basket for my grill?
2. If so, how is it supposed to be used? Inside? Handle outside with the lid partially open? Cook with the lid up?
3. Will the basket handle melt or be damaged if I put it inside the grill with the lid closed? If it is an issue, would you cut out the black handle insert so it can be used inside?

Photos:
  • Grill Basket on grates.
  • Notch (for grill lid?).
  • Basket handle on the side with the grill lid closed. The grill lid cannot close fully, and the basket may tilt up slightly inside, but not much.
  • Basket handle in front, showing how the grill lid handle presses on the basket handle. The basket tilts up several inches, inside the grill.
Grill Basket.JPG

Grill Basket Notch.JPG

Grill Basket Side.JPG

Grill Basket Front.JPG

Do not subject that handle directly to grill temperatures, you will have serious plastic fire issues!
I would not notch the lid anywhere, save that basket for the beach or some other grill that is ”open”.
I think cutting notches in the lid to allow the thing to close would make awfully large holes and for this thing I just wouldn’t do it.

Last edited:
Do not subject that handle directly to grill temperatures, you will have serious plastic fire issues!
I would not notch the lid anywhere, save that basket for the beach or some other grill that is ”open”
Thanks for the helpful info.

What I meant by "notch" is the bend where the handle joins the larger part of the basket. It seems designed to allow a lid to rest on it, but the lid would be gapped open. (I would never cut a notch in my grill box.)

Would this basket be useful on the gas grill if I remove the black plastic and use the metal only?

Maybe the second pic would work, but I only used a grilll basket like that when cooking freshly caught fish over an open fire on the shore.

small fire, four rocks and a few trout made for a great shore lunch.

@DanHoo already anticipated my next question. I was going to start a new thread about those types of grill baskets, but we can carry on here.

All my life I have been grilling sliced onions on the grates as condiments for burgers, etc. The smaller pieces fall through. Having endured decades of losing a lot of grilled onions, I am ready for a basket. In addition, I had also thought about using that basket for fish fillets, other vegetables, and whatever else might otherwise fall through the grates.

I like the basket in Dan's image above. I have seen them in various shapes and sizes - larger, smaller, tall sides, shallow sides, etc.

You can also buy a specially sized grill basket from Weber, designed to fit in the grill's "Weber Crafted" frame. We bought the griddle and the baking stone, but did not buy the basket. It was expensive, and it appeared larger than we would need. This is the Weber Crafted basket:
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accesso...afted/weber-crafted-grilling-basket/7673.html

Here are some new questions:
-> Which of those general purpose baskets do you recommend ?
-> Which material is the best for those general purpose baskets? Stainless? Enamel coated steel? Non-stick coating? Something else?

Someone gave me one that has a removable handle which really doesn’t work worth a tinkers damn! I end up tossing with tongs and use the handle for “on and off”. Works well enough that I have no plans of replacing it for the foreseeable future.
Mine is black steel, no coating that I know of.

Here are some new questions:
-> Which of those general purpose baskets do you recommend ?
-> Which material is the best for those general purpose baskets? Stainless? Enamel coated steel? Non-stick coating? Something else?

I've used enamel, wire grid and stainless, and I like the stainless.

Mine looks a lot like this one. I bought a two-pack from Costco and gave one to a friend.

It works great for small veggies like asparagus or onions and I've used it on both on gas and coal grills.

1655244789105.png

I like the Weber ones or the one DanHoo showed with the slits. I find the larger round holes allow sliced onions or small asparagus to slip into them. I have three different sizes of Weber ones and really like them although they are expensive.

Attachments

• EE6936D2-EBC7-4591-9BF2-680B229A2038.jpeg
    EE6936D2-EBC7-4591-9BF2-680B229A2038.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 5A045685-B15D-48E6-93AC-435791246F75.jpeg
    5A045685-B15D-48E6-93AC-435791246F75.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 6
I bought one of those baskets years ago thinking it would be good for delicate items like fish. It got little use. Have not seen it since I moved 5 years ago. Now I will have to look for it.

I have had a “fish basket“ for 40 years, useless as nipples for chickens! I’ve tried to ”yard sale“ it for years. Now, its just a novelty which I will never part with, it’s just too:funny!

Yah, I have been given a couple of those baskets for gifts over the last several years. I also have collected a few with the rehab grills I buy. Never use 'em.

What are you cooking that needs a flippable basket?

I have one like this for small veggies. Different brand but the same idea.

View attachment 52936
Yes!

OP, is lucky -- his was a gift. BW (Before Weber), I bought one. Used once, never again. AW, learned to grill and got rid of the unnecessary hardware. Gimmicks mostly for novices. No offense -- most of us were there at one time or with a cheap grill.

Yes!

OP, is lucky -- his was a gift. BW (Before Weber), I bought one. Used once, never again. AW, learned to grill and got rid of the unnecessary hardware. Gimmicks mostly for novices. No offense -- most of us were there at one time or with a cheap grill.
None taken. It is already in the donation bin. I will let a local charity sell it to another griller who does not know better.

I may have decades of grilling experience from cooking basic "grill foods", but not much useful grilling knowledge. People drive cars all their lives, but that does not make them expert drivers or even safe drivers. Half of them are below average drivers. :-(

None taken. It is already in the donation bin. I will let a local charity sell it to another griller who does not know better.

I may have decades of grilling experience from cooking basic "grill foods", but not much useful grilling knowledge. People drive cars all their lives, but that does not make them expert drivers or even safe drivers. Half of them are below average drivers. :-(
True enough! I bet hardly anyone starts as an expert, experienced griller. And then some discover smoking and get to start again -- hope on a quicker path. It's all good. 😋

Back